CO2 tank suddenly empty

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have had this happen a few times now and I just don't get it. I am currently using a victor regulator, fabco needle valve and a fluval bubble counter. I have replaced the regulator, needle valve and bubble counter thinking one of them was the problem, I had a Milwaukee all in one before. I run like 1.5 bps.

I filled my 10lb tank about 5 weeks ago and today I noticed the tank is reading empty. I know for sure a few days ago it was still full. It is not a tank dump because the tank was not near empty and I never lose any fish from it. This tank is in my living room and my mom ALWAYS let me know if she hears anything coming from the tank and she broke her foot last week and is sitting directly in front of it so it something happened (like the pressure release valve or something) she would have heard it.

CO2 hates me, any ideas? Picture isnt a close up but you can see the needle valve and bubble counter on the left between the shelves.

100_6244.JPG

Agro

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Treviso - Italy
Aquarium size?
I had a Milwaukee all in one before
You use Milwaukee sms122?

You probably have a leak checks all the gloves with soap and water

Beautiful cabinet, you did it?
What is a white tube connect to canister filter?

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Argo the "white tube" is a co2 reactor.

As for the Co2 tank emptied, I would agree with Argo. Use soapy water on the connections to find out if there is one.

How full was it the other day? Might be eotd, end of tank dump.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Where do you get your CO2 filled?

Have you ever weighed the tank before and after filling to know how much gas is in there?

How do you know it was full until it was empty? are you monitoring the pressure reading on the regulator? and if so, what is it?

Don't assume end of tank dump will kill your fish, it will just allow more CO2 into your aquarium than you would like. It might not be fatal.

To me it seems strange that your gas would just suddenly disappear, so it would make more sense to me that part of the issue would be how you're determining that your tank is still full. If it's a leak somewhere, and that is the most likely issue, then you should notice a decline in the amount of gas.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Aquarium size?

You use Milwaukee sms122?

You probably have a leak checks all the gloves with soap and water

Beautiful cabinet, you did it?
What is a white tube connect to canister filter?
72g. No it was a MA957 regulator. When I install a fresh tank I always do a leak test with soapy water. I only refinished the cabinet but I did build the canopy myself. Yes, the white tube is my CO2 reactor.
[/URL][/IMG]

Where do you get your CO2 filled?
A local fire epuipment shop.
Have you ever weighed the tank before and after filling to know how much gas is in there?
No I have not but I will this time.
How do you know it was full until it was empty? are you monitoring the pressure reading on the regulator? and if so, what is it?
I can't say I was monitoring it exactly but I look at it at least once a week. I know it started at 900psi and when I looked a few days ago I just looked for it's general orientation and it couldn't have been less than 700psi for sure, probably higher but I can guarantee it was at least that high.

Don't assume end of tank dump will kill your fish, it will just allow more CO2 into your aquarium than you would like. It might not be fatal.

To me it seems strange that your gas would just suddenly disappear, so it would make more sense to me that part of the issue would be how you're determining that your tank is still full. If it's a leak somewhere, and that is the most likely issue, then you should notice a decline in the amount of gas.
Yeah, it seems strange to me too because I don't notice a decline and then it is all gone. Maybe this time I will do a weekly photo journal or something to prove I am not crazy! :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
When I install a fresh tank I always do a leak test with soapy water.
Might want to double check everything from the tank to the needle valve, just in case.

Maybe this time I will do a weekly photo journal or something to prove I am not crazy! :)
Just be emotionally prepared, just in case you should prove the exact opposite!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Just be emotionally prepared, just in case you should prove the exact opposite!
Not possible, if I were crazy I would be blissfully unaware of it and even deny it. Ever try to prove to a crazy person they are crazy? Doesn't work so well. :)

When I get my tank refilled I will check for leaks like always but no other ideas? This as happened at least 3 times now and I have always checked for leaks top to bottom and it holds steady/high for weeks then poof nothing. This time I am going to do a weekly leak check and pressure check.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
There is the possibility that all the co2 is being released in the tank. But i would think that much co2 would kill the fish. Then again fiah do prove to survive in horrific conditions. It could be a leak but the way you monitor your equipment and do weekly leak tests, i highly doubt its a leak. Maybe its a sick joke someone is playing on you Lol. But i hope you get the problem solved and you dont have to seal with it anymore

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store