Aquascape tips for my 10 gallon? PICS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
When I moved my tanks from their wood stands to the double metal stand, I went all out and completely revamped both tanks from the messy, completely overgrown plant disasters they were before. I pulled out all the plants (had to so I could get all the fish and drain them) and spent about four hours separating, trimming, and replanting.

This is my first *real* attempt at doing an actual aquascape.

I unfortunately don't have any "before" photos, but here are the afters :)

I'm looking for any advice/suggestions on how to better my 'scapes.

Tank 1- Sawyer's Tank
Inhabitants:
Fauna- 1 male betta, pond, mts, and ramshorn snails
Flora- Ludwigia narrow?, bacopa australis
IMG_0905.JPGIMG_0906.JPGIMG_0908.JPG
(Trying to show off the red plants, they look a lot brighter in person)

Tank 2- Froggy, loach, and shrimp tank
Inhabitants:
Fauna- 6 ADF's, 4 Kuhli loaches, 1 remaining ghost shrimp, pond, ramshorn (leopard, blue, and red) snails
Flora- Anubias var. nana, Bacopa australis, ludwigia repens?

IMG_0909.JPGIMG_0910.JPGIMG_0911.JPG
(I know they seem all the same, I was trying to show the shape of the path)

Thanks for any comments and suggestions!

*The colors are a LOT brighter and more vibrant in person*

IMG_0909.JPG IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0911.JPG IMG_0905.JPG IMG_0906.JPG IMG_0908.JPG

Last edited:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I actually like both tanks, you're getting some pretty good growth so you're doing something right!

For the first tank, the random patch of Ludwigia on the right seems out of place. Maybe place a smaller piece of wood or rock in front to break it up or something, but it just seems sort of awkward to me.

For the second tank, you have a lot of round-leaf plants. Maybe trimming back the Bacopa carpet and adding a taller, different looking plant for behind the Anubias wood would give it some more variety.

Just my quick thoughts. I'm sure others' eyes will see differently too.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I agree, those are great looking tanks and I'm a fan of the natural look over a perfectly trimmed garden style tank. I think they look very nice. As far as tips are concerned, I'd just move the bacopa A. over to the right side of the tank to fill in the negative floor space and move that patch of ludwigia back over with the rest on the left side. On tank 2, I'd probably just move the wood/anubias back about 2 inches or so and slightly closer to the path. (In the region in front of where that filter intake(?) is.) Also, if possible, moving the light forward a bit will illuminate the front of the tank better and darken the back more. This would greatly improve the depth and overall aesthetics of the scape. You'd lose much of the glare off of the equipment, as well. Sometimes removing the glass tops (or the hinge) is needed to do this, however.

Last edited:

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
They need a black background. Other than that, they look awesome!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
I actually like both tanks, you're getting some pretty good growth so you're doing something right!
Thanks! What's funny is I've been incredibly neglectful to my plants (only doing weekly Excel and haven't done Flourish for over a month, not perfect lighting cycles, shoving stems in the sand or eco without being gentle, etc.) and they grow like weeds still! Left the trimmings on top as I had no where to put them, and they grew roots. It amazes me how easy these plants are. I'm back to daily Excel, weekly Flourish, and timed lighting cycles.

For the first tank, the random patch of Ludwigia on the right seems out of place. Maybe place a smaller piece of wood or rock in front to break it up or something, but it just seems sort of awkward to me.

I agree it seems out of place and awkward. I wasn't sure what to do there, as you can tell. Do you think I should place a rock (if so what type/color?) or similar colored driftwood in front of the ludwigia, then the bacopa in front of the wood/rock so it is more cohesive to other side? Then maybe if I go the rock route, place a smaller one in front of the driftwood on the left to tie it in all together? I know the left side is really "heavy" compared to the right.

For the second tank, you have a lot of round-leaf plants. Maybe trimming back the Bacopa carpet and adding a taller, different looking plant for behind the Anubias wood would give it some more variety.

How far do you think I should have the bacopa carpet go back? Any suggestions for a fairly easy plant? My lighting is two 18watt T5's. I was thinking of (once the ludwigia grows some more), taking some of the trimmings and replanting them behind half the driftwood pile and taking out some of the bacopa. Although, that doesn't solve the issue of all round leave plants. Perhaps if I were to take some of the ludwigia narrow trimmings from the betta tank and put them behind the other ludwigia on the left side? So it would be the narrow leaved ludwigia, broad leaf ludwigia, then the bacopa.

Just my quick thoughts. I'm sure others' eyes will see differently too.

Thanks for your thoughts! The water level was low just for the 'scaping, both are filled up now :)

Random, but I have 5 dwarf lily's that I pulled out, as they are so hard to keep short. Do you think one would look good anywhere?

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
I agree, those are great looking tanks and I'm a fan of the natural look over a perfectly trimmed garden style tank. I think they look very nice.
Thank you so much for the compliments. I like the look of some garden style tanks, but the maintenance has to be a complete nightmare for some of those. Especially ones with moss, I've given up trying to use moss.

As far as tips are concerned, I'd just move the bacopa A. over to the right side of the tank to fill in the negative floor space and move that patch of ludwigia back over with the rest on the left side.

I have a whole bucket of the bacopa australis trimmings/stems that I can pull from, so you are saying to completely fill in all the negative floor space on the right side with the bacopa australis? If I move the ludwigia over, would you recommend (once it grows some), planting the trimmings on the right so it lines the entire back?

On tank 2, I'd probably just move the wood/anubias back about 2 inches or so and slightly closer to the path. (In the region in front of where that filter intake(?) is.) Also, if possible, moving the light forward a bit will illuminate the front of the tank better and darken the back more. This would greatly improve the depth and overall aesthetics of the scape. You'd lose much of the glare off of the equipment, as well. Sometimes removing the glass tops (or the hinge) is needed to do this, however.

I really like the idea to move the driftwood pile back a couple inches and closer to the path, I think it will look really nice. I didn't even think about moving the light, I was worried about trying to place it on the center to give equal lighting for the plants, but I'm going to play around with moving it, at least for pictures. It's easy to move the light and top, which is nice :)

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
They need a black background. Other than that, they look awesome!
Thanks! That's been on my "to get" list forever, I had a piece of dark cardboard behind them before, but my doggy chewed it up. I love the bassets/spaniels? in your profile pic btw!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC

I have a whole bucket of the bacopa australis trimmings/stems that I can pull from, so you are saying to completely fill in all the negative floor space on the right side with the bacopa australis? If I move the ludwigia over, would you recommend (once it grows some), planting the trimmings on the right so it lines the entire back?
Yes, I think filling in the floor with the bacopa would look great and that was my initial thought. As far as the ludwigia is concerned, you could line the back with it if you wanted, but I was thinking of just having the carpeted look on the right side with maybe a branchy looking piece of driftwood poking out of the right side of the ludwigia coming out over the bacopa a bit. Play around with it and see which you'd prefer.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Yes, I think filling in the floor with the bacopa would look great and that was my initial thought. As far as the ludwigia is concerned, you could line the back with it if you wanted, but I was thinking of just having the carpeted look on the right side with maybe a branchy looking piece of driftwood poking out of the right side of the ludwigia coming out over the bacopa a bit. Play around with it and see which you'd prefer.
That sounds really nice. I like the whole jungle feeling as long as its not too crazy where you will barely ever see the fish. Im not too fond of the well trimmed look because it just looks like it takes too much time and effort to keep it looking "perfect" even if it is asthetically more pleasing. But as said before just keep tweaking with the aquascapes until you find something that you will enjoy. Btw the tanks look amazing as they are right now :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store