Stocking questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
I am new to this forum and I had an older gentleman give me his African cichlid tank. There are two full size Labidochromis Caeruleus, (one male, one female) Two [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Pseudotropheus Crabro[/FONT], (one male, one female/juvenile?) and one each of what seems to be a juvenile [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Pseudotropheus Aurora and a juvenile [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Melanochromis Auratus[/FONT]. He gave them to me in what he told me was an established 20 gallon tank. I have already set up one of my 55 gallon tanks with sand and lots of rockwork for these fish, it is two weeks into cycling right now.

My problem is that it seems to me the 20 gal tank is entirely too small for these fish, and I'm not sure about their compatibility as tank mates, to top it off I had .25ppm ammonia in the tank last night. I resolved the ammonia problem with 30% water change last night and one tonight, but I'm not convinced this tank is a good place for these fish...

Some pointers would be nice, I'm not that used to rift lake cichlids and I don't want to harm these beautiful fish...

P.S. The Gentleman I got these from told me the Yellow Labs were wild caught... any way to confirm this?

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
I've done my research and have a high ph (8.2) and high hardness (can't remember the numbers, I wrote them down, but I'm at work right now) nitrates are in the 20ppm range, nitrites are 0, with ammonia at trace levels. Am I going to need different filtration? I have an a topfin 20 HOB that ripples the water quite well, I have a 100w heater keeping the water at 80°f-82°f...

The 55gal that I'm setting up also has an HOB filter (aqueon 70) with a 250w heater. Pics will follow of the 55 gal. No fish in it yet.

uploadfromtaptalk1375112425496.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1375112461736.jpg

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Your tanks are stunning!! Good job! Sorry I can't help with your stocking questions...but someone will! I just wanted to comment on your tanks!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I like the design of the rocks, very nice.

Now as far as those fish in a 20 gallon, there are too many and too big. Personally I would keep up the water changes on the 20 and try introducing one fish at a time to the 55 over a coarse of time. Start with the least aggressive fish to try and avoid territory aggression. As for compatibility, I do not know enough about them to help.

Now know that regardless of you deciding to keep them in the 20 or overtime into the 55, you will have to do a lot of water changes until the bacteria get established.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Ok, that seems like what I will need to do. I wanted confirmation that the fish need to be moved. The guy I got them from acted like the small tank wasn't a big deal so I wasn't sure. Will probably move the two yellow labs to the 55 gal tank this evening and continue moving the fish two at a time at weekly intervals (watching, of course, the water conditions)...

Will give periodic reports...

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
They look small right now so that is a good thing the bad thing is that the Crabro aka Bumble cichlids and Auratus will turn into nightmares when they start to mature and will more than likely kill your other fish as these guys need even a larger setup like a 120gal or a 125gal with tons of hiding places and caves.. Yellow labs are more than likely captive bred as I believe no one is really looking for these guys from Lake Malawi and is probably a limited resource on them, not to mention most captive bred specimens are usually in great shape..

Your 55gal is looking good for Mbuna, if you want to stay with the lessor aggressive species because really all Mbuna are aggressive to a degree, add about 5 more Yellow labs (Labidochromis caeruleus) and 2 more groups of 5 Mbuna, some examples would be the Rusty Cichlid ( Iodotropheus sprengerae ) The Afra white top hara ( Cynotilapia sp afra hara )

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Yup, I agree. Trade the other guys out and keep the caeruleus (yellow lab), then build off that as pittbull described. You may also like the option of a big group of demasoni (12+) with a smaller group (5-6) of yellow labs, it makes for a beautiful display.

Honestly though stocking mbuna you really want to add all your fish to the tank together as juveniles and let them grow up together. Although not ideal you could put a divider in the 20g for the 2 adult labs for now and do a fishless cycle on the 55 then add all your other juvis.

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
I had already planned to trade away the Auratus, but I really liked those those Crabros. So, if I keep a 1m:3-4f ratio, can I get by with the yellow labs, some red zebra, and socolofi? Will they cross breed?

Wish I could keep those Crabros, might have to set up another tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store