angle doing loop d loops - help!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rhinotam0405

AC Members
Dec 18, 2010
My 2 + year old angel is swimming loops. I first noticed that the membrane around the eyes looked swollen, not the eye ball, but around it. Then he started the loops. Water parameters are normal, 150g planted tank. What can I do? I hate to loose my big guy ; ( otherwise he appears normal. Help please! I have pulled him into quarantine.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
What exactly do you mean by "normal?" If you're asking for help, specific values on the measurables is better than an adjective. Have there been any changes in the tank? Equipment all properly functioning?

rhinotam0405

AC Members
Dec 18, 2010
Sorry- yes I should have put specifics. Ph 8 ( normal for my tank and South Texas) , ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 ppm, we have well water, all equipment is functioning. All other fish including the angels, Cardinal tetras, are doing fine. Just him. No changes in the tank.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
What's he been eating? Have any aerosols been used in the vicinity of the tank? Tank temp? What exactly are the other fish, and how many?

Basically, all I'm doing is trying to grab information for one of the smart folks to diagnose for you.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Angels?? how many .. are any pairing up??

what is the stocking in the tank?

I'm leaning towards injury..

rhinotam0405

AC Members
Dec 18, 2010
I have 4 angels in the tank, the other 3 are half his size, I haven't added any fish to the tank in over 8 months. Have the4 Angels, 8 Congo tetras, about 25cardinals, and a cleaning crew 8 corydoras, 6-7 ocats, amano shrimp, nirite snails and a12 yr old clown pleco. Planted with a thick forest of giant jungle val, misc crypts, anubias & red sword. No co2. Low tech tank. Temp is maintained at 79, with external in line heaters. I do not see any injuries on him, he's the big boy in the tank.

rhinotam0405

AC Members
Dec 18, 2010
They eat pellets & flakes then frozen (brine & blood worms)every other day. So aerosols, but shouldnt be a problem w/ glass top and wood canopy.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I'd guess it's just an internal infection. Even with great water quality, fish aren't 100% immune to disease

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I'd guess it's just an internal infection. Even with great water quality, fish aren't 100% immune to disease
Pretty accurate. I would try a broad spectrum antibiotic. This sounds like bacterial more than anything. Since you have well-water, it is possible that the water has picked up something in the way of a bacteria, especially if it has rained recently. Even if it hasn't, I would look to the same possible issue. If it rests on the bottom after doing the loops, it may already be too late. A qt tank like you mentioned is a very good move. Follow all directions to the letter. Don't try to add more or take short-cuts as you will never know the original cause.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store