Sterilizing tank and supplies after mysterious betta death...and maybe clues as to wh

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Hi all,
Long story short, my daughter has a happy, healthy active betta, in a 5.5 gal, heated, filtered tank. Some silk, some live plants, fishy fort. So, she bought an identical setup and a new betta. Set up and ran the tank for 24 hrs, acclimated the new guy, put him in the tank. He was dead in less than 2 days. Went back to the not to be mentioned pet store and noticed that about 3/4 of the bettas that were there on Sunday are gone, and the ones left look truely horrendous. So, we are pretty sure we didn't kill him, unless with too much clean water after his horrible little cup. No sign of ich, velvet, dropsy. He had a pooched out belly when we got him, which shrank within the first few hours in his new tank. Ate well, but seemed to need to come up for air a lot more often than Pierre, her first betta. Seemed fine on Sunday, first day in the new tank, Monday he was clamped and unhappy, this morning after a water change seemed a bit less clamped and moving around more, midday was frantically racing to the surface, sinking if he quit moving, floating by mid afternoon. Ring any bells for anyone?

Question is, how do we clean the tank, plants, fort, to make sure that a new fishy doesn't get any funk ( if there is any) from the old one? And what about the live plants? Are they saveable, or do they need to go to the compost pile?

Thanks all,
Jennifer

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Forgot to mention, we know the tank is not cycled after just running for 24 hours. That was to make sure water temp had stabilized and everything was working well. Daughter does 1/3 water changes every other day in her first tank, and had begun that same schedule in the new tank.

Jen

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Were you monitoring params? Even with daily wc's ammonia can build up quickly in small tanks, so I wouldn't rule that out either. Bad stock may also have been at least part of the issue.

Next time you should transfer some media from the established tank to the new tank. That way you'll kick start the cycle.

If you really want the peace of mind you can always bleach the tank or let it dry out completely for a while.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Jpappy,
if we want to bleach the tank, just many rinses and dry thoroughly when done? Would you get rid of the live plants? As far as transferring media from her healthy tank, it has a black foam filter and the little premade filter bag in the pump housing. Do we just squeeze the old foam onto the new foam, or maybe give the new tank the old filter bag, as it is almost due for a change anyway? She is running a bare bottom tank, so no substrate that might have goodies to share.

And, no, hadn't checked params yet. Tanks is still up, is it too late to check it now? I would like to know if it was an issue on our side before I possibly bring home some other poor fish and torture it :(
Thanks for the help!
Jen

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'd change just in case. And you can accomplish it be doing filter squeezings too apparently, although I'm not sure if it is as effective as physically transferring media.

Whenever I bleach anything I rinse and rinse and rinse with dechlorinated water. Granted, it's really only an issue if you think there was something biological affecting the betta.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Sorry for your loss. Its very important to clean and sterilize everything very well with hot water also. When buying new plastic plants, rinse them off well also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store