Trying to hang some 24" lights

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
After much debating on what lights to use for the 29g tank I've been planning on setting up, I recently purchased three 24" sunblaster nanotechs. Pictures of two of the fixtures and the included hanging brackets are below. I need to hang these lights over the tank. I initially wanted to make a lighting stand out of electrical conduit but decided in an effort to make my life easier to hang them from something mounted to the wall. The ceiling is out of the question because I have a high and awkwardly shaped vaulted ceiling in the room. It turns out there's nothing easy or cheap about mounting the lights. I first looked at shelving, but couldn't find much of anything that stuck out from the wall far enough besides some hideous wire shelves. I also looked at some plant hangars, and just plain shelf brackets. I ended up in the hardware aisle at Home Depot with a couple very standard shelf brackets and a couple employees. I figured I could drill a few holes in the brackets where I needed the lights and put an eyehole screw in each hole with a nut holding them in place. Then I would just run some steel cable through the eyeholes and then through the hole in the provided mounting bracket. I was starting to feel good since this was cheap and seemed easy enough. Then when I asked how I would secure the cable together in a loop the employee said that I needed a crimping tool or a certain type of fastener. This would apparently run me at least $20 on top of the rest of the hardware bringing my total up way too high. I believe I should be able to do this for around $20 total and spending that much more defeats the purpose of buying the cheaper sunblasters in the first place. So, I left Home Depot with nothing and no idea how I am going to hang the lights. I'm now extremely frustrated and need someone to help me figure out how to hang these without breaking the bank.

nanotech.JPGhanging bracket.JPG

nanotech.JPG hanging bracket.JPG

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I had a possible idea. From the eye bolts I could hang an S hook and some chain from that. Then hopefully at the bottom of the chain I could attach another S hook that will hopefully fit in the hole on the included hanging bracket on the fixture. I don't necessarily like S hooks for this application as a healthy bump seems like it could knock a fixture into the tank. I was thinking I could close them up with a pair of pliers though? Then another clip of some sort could be used higher up on the chain for height adjustments. Anyone see any problems with this? Have any improvements or other suggestions?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Done besides eventual plans to take it all down and spray paint everything black. Ignore the aquascape, I just had to get the plants in the substrate that's not my final scape.

light2.jpeg
lights.JPG

light2.jpeg lights.JPG

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I had a possible idea. From the eye bolts I could hang an S hook and some chain from that.
nice idea, and nice final solution. It looks neat. kind of an S and M vibe to it!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
nice idea, and nice final solution. It looks neat. kind of an S and M vibe to it!
Haha thanks, not exactly what I was going for, but the chain allows me to adjust the height and I couldn't think of a way to link the three strips together and hang from a single chain.

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Why not build a frame out of 2x2's with the same dimensions as the tank and then add 2 braces at the width of the lights. You could attach the lights to the braces and then attach your chains/cables to the outside 2x2's and then everything would hang square.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store