29g Planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
This is the first time I've dedicated an aquarium to live plants. I've had plants before but only a few low light varieties. I'm using CaribSea FloraMax as my substrate. I bought Aqueon's expandable LED light fixture with an extra daylight bulb. I've dabbled with DIY CO2 in the past with good results so I'll use a modified version with this set-up. Still considering plants; I'm open to suggestions. Probably wont consider adding fish for a few months. I want to make sure I'm doing right by the plants first, fish are easy. As for fish, I believe I've mentioned Asian Glass Catfish before. I am also open to tank mate suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
6-8 AGC and maybe a school of 10 Rasboras??

Agro

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Treviso - Italy
Water values?
Post some photo.
DIY co2 not good chose, the production is instable, this affects ph.
i would buy a plant with tank.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
If you don't mind ruling out some plants, then maybe a liquid carbon source would be a better choice for you like Flourish Excel, API CO2 booster (my personal choice), etc. Vals, Elodea, Cabomba and a few others have a tendency to melt with this product. Some folks (including myself with Vals) have had some success slowly acclimating these plants with these products but they never seem as healthy as they could be. That being said, there are still hundreds of other choices that will thrive with these products.

I would chose a liquid carbon source over DYI any day of the week and twice on Sunday's -
no muss - no fuss.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I agree with Roy. With the lighting the OP has, you'd never need a fancy CO2 setup. I've read 29's can be a bit of a challenge given their depth, so if you did up the light substantially, you'd fight with a carbon and fert dosing to keep the algae at bay. With the LED lighting described, all you'd need is a glutaral liquid carbon source.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
It is a good idea to think about if you want snails shrimp or other algae eaters.

Seed the filter from one of you other tanks and then dose with ammonia. It won't hurt the plants (they can eat it).

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I took a bag of ceramic rings from one of my other canisters to seed the SunSun.
I'm seriously considering shrimp for algae control. As far as fish, Pristella Tetras, and Albino Cories as tank mates for the glass catfish. My youngest son suggested upside down catfish, which now I'm thinking about an all catfish tank. Would shrimp be okay?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store