Glass thickness for DIY sliding tops?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I am making sliding glass tops for a 35" x 17" opening. If I were to go with a front to back setup I would be getting 2 pieces at 35" x 8.75". Do you think 3/32 is too thin for that span? I am thinking it is but it I can't find any place to get 1/8" pieces for a reasonable price, local glass shop want at least $60 for these 2 little pieces. What if I went side to side with 17.75" x 17", 3/32 ok?

Reason I am making these instead of just buying the regular versa tops is because this will be inside a canopy (eventually) and I won't have the clearance to flip them up.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I think 3/32" is too thin. I just did glass tops for 6 tanks with those dimensions and the glass shop recommended 1/8" thick because of the span.

I also did the sliding tops using FRP outside corner trim cut to fit, that rest on the existing plastic trim lip of the tank. I love them!!! BTW, I had them cut so there is a 1" overlap at the center of the tank to reduce water splashing out of the tank. Mine are 34 7/8" long x 9" wide with 2 clipped corners for the rear section to allow the heater cord and airlines (sponge filters) and 34 7/8"L x 9"W for the front section.

Sorry they want to charge you so much. I guess I got a good deal at $16 per set.

I had considered making them slide left to right but that made it harder to install the equipment with the set up I have.

Are there any other glass shops available? I got different prices from a couple shops when I was searching. I ended up with a small family run shop that completed the job in 3 days.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks Dee! I am making mine the same way with the moulding pieces, 1" overlap and a clipped corner. I found 36 x 18 x 1/8 sheets at home depot for $10 and I am going to try to cut them myself, how hard could it be? It's only 3 cuts, right..no problem! lol We'll see about that! Don't worry I will wear protective gear! And I am sure I have some practice glass lying around here to experiment with.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I do want to mention that you don't want the glass to fit too snugly because it will bind when you try to slide it on the FRP. As long as the glass will fit in the 'slots' of the FRP, it is OK to cut it up to 1/8" narrower than the 'normal' dimension the stock aquarium lid is. This gives you a little bit of play when you slide the front half glass back and forth.

I plan on adding something to use as handles to make it easier to slide the glass open and closed. I find when my hands are wet, I can't get a grip on the glass.

I also used some Krylon Fusion for plastic spray paint on the FRP so that it isn't so noticeable. It blends in much better with the black tank trim though I have noticed it does wear off a bit from sliding the top open and closed.

Good luck on trimming the glass. I'm really lousy trying to cut glass. I'm never sure if I press too hard or not. Be sure to use a stone or sandpaper to smooth the edges on the glass.

My local glass shop seamed all the glass edges for me. I'm assuming that means they just knocked off any sharpness from the cutting procedure.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks for the tips!

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Also you want to keep an air gap between the two pieces of glass. If there are any areas of overlap water will seep between them and eventually stick the two pieces of glass together.

It's for this reason that bulk glass often has a paper layer or a layer of grit between each panel when stacked and shipped to prevent it from getting wet and sticking.

You can glue a thin strip of plastic (even a layer of tape will do) to separate the two pieces so they don't stick on top of one another when they are overlapped.

Andy

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Interesting. The moulding used as rails for the glass does keep the glass separated.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I did find that I was getting a bit of water building up between the overlapped panes because of the water flow from the airlift piping. I slightly lifted the FRP molding in the rear and this gives a slight incline to the glass and allows the water to run out of the gap and back into the tank, problem fixed!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store