Do you tip for take-out food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Madcrawdad

The ONLY AC Mafia
Dec 29, 2006
Chicagoland
I saw this blurb today about Drew Brees supposedly leaving a poor tip for food. Turns out it was for take-out food. These stories where servers post their perceived crummy tips online bug me, but that's beside the point.

I always tip food delivery drivers a few bucks. I always tip 20% when dining at a full service restaurant. I NEVER tip for food when I order at a counter and then take it home in a bag. I usually pay with my credit card, and have noticed that more and more fast food places are now including an area for you to add a tip when signing the receipt. I just write "0", and sign for the amount of the food.

Do most folks actually tip for carry out?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I'm right there with you about people posting receipts online. Get over it and move on. There is no need to post this for the world. But that is a different thread....

I don't tip for take out. If I go and pick it up, then who should I be tipping? The cook?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I dont tip if i take out. No need to. I used to deliver pizzas and i can see where the big deal is on a crappy tip. If your job doesnt pay for your gas like mine then you have to make the amount of money you spent on gas and then some more to even actually get a tip. Ive had days where i didnt make my gas money back and it sucked. But on the other side i did make a $30 tip one time from Target :) but i never blogged about crappy tips. Only posted on FB about my good tips LOL

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I never tip for take-out. Delivery drivers and especially wait-staff work primarily for tips. Cooks and cashiers do not.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I've worked as a delivery driver, waiter, and several take out counters. The first two I expected tips. That's what I worked for, the salary was garbage. While tips were nice bonus at the take out windows I never expected them. And I was definitely never upset if I didn't get one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
No tip for takeout. However, I will sometimes (depending what kind of cash I have on me) tip for the carhops at places like Sonic, even though all they're doing is bringing me my order that they didn't take. Usually only a dollar though. Dine in tips vary from literally pennies (really bad service) to 30% (really good service) and is usually in the 15-18% range for decent service.

I haven't had to leave a less than 10% tip in a long time, though. I'm pretty undemanding as a customer, but ffs, if my drink is empty long enough that I get around to asking for it, I don't want to have to wait 10 minutes for a frakkin' refill! And if I order a salad as a side for my burger, don't bring me fries and look at me like I'm an idiot when I ask for the salad I ordered. There's one place locally that consistently got orders wrong, and if you complained (one of my coworkers is a vegetarian with many food allergies) that you ordered a cheese pizza but got sausage and pineapple (one of the food allergies, and, you know, not exactly vegetarian) instead, it's not a "free" bonus if the order was specifically cheese pizza due to dietary needs. After three consecutive screwed up orders, they said to stop ordering from them if they can't get the order right. Haven't been back since.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
I think it's funny that the chick who Drew Brees 'tipped' is going to be fired.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I don't usually tip for take out with the exception of a Mom and Pop kind of place. Like our neighborhood pizza parlor. I have learned a few bucks thrown their way...earns me really nice coupons and almost always freebies. Plus it just make me feel good.

I always tip the delivery person a couple of dollars.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It depends on what all is done by the person at the takeout counter. In some places, the take person assembles the salad, gets the soup, etc--way more that just a cashier role. If all they do is take an order, hand me a bag and take my money, no tipping for takeout. Tipping for everything else is dependent on the service. If I leave a bad tip, I also will say something to the server explaining why. I waited tables in several different places, from Pizza Hut to nice restaurants to IHOP...and the 'middle road nice restaurant, slightly upscale' had the absolute WORST tips. I get that people eating their were treating themselves, but if your budget doesn't include a good tip, you should re-think if that's a good choice for dinner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store