Fluval 306 or Rena xp3?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I was all set to buy a fluval 306 for my 40 gallon tank but then noticed that Amazon offers the Rena xp3 for just over 100 bucks, which is the same price they charge for the xp2! Anyone have experience with these two filters? I hear the Rena is easier to service but I assume the pricier Fluval must have some advantages over it. Do both produce similar flow?

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Well, after watching the setup video on youtube and reading other reviews I went ahead and pulled the trigger for the Rena xp3. 103 bucks with free shipping may not last long.

dshipl01

DCichlidDude
Nov 10, 2009
Youngsville NC
I have been using an XP3 for over 6 years and still working great. I have replaced hoses, etc but mechanically is a great filter. I have this an a 75 gallon freshwater tank.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
The Rena arrived. One downside to report is there is no spraybar included in this newest version of the XP3, now called the XP-L.

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Had both filters and found the Rena much better. I had 2 fluvals and but had leak issues if you did not seat the lid on perfectly. The was never an issue with the Rena and it was also easier to clean and easier to prime.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've only tried the Rena canisters (XP1, not sure if it's been renamed) but I thought they do well. Unfortunate that it doesn't come with the spray bar though as that was a big selling point compared to other brands at the time, but I do know people have DIYed spray bars. Might be worth taking a look.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I installed the XP-L today and can report two minor problems. One, I had a hassel initially with the quick release lever. It was quite stiff when I first engaged it and I had to be patient and jiggle it a bit while trying to disengage the thing. I understand some folks use too much force and break it. It does seem to work fine after the first time but it's flimsy. The other disappointment is this thing only came with two of the four recommended coarse media pads and and only 6 of those little biostars. I cut some extra aquaclear sponges I had to size and used them for additional coarse media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store