Lighting for a 40gallon breeder (36" long)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
As the title says, I have a 40 gallon tank which is 36" long. I've had a typical fluorescent hood on it but it stopped working yesterday. I thought the bulb had burned out, but when I bought a new bulb today and tested it, it didn't work either. Therefore I think the hood itself is toast.

In light of this I'm thinking that this might be a good opportunity to try LED lights. I was looking at finnex lights for a planted tank with low/medium light needs (Java ferns and anubias). I'm wondering two things, which of the finnex fixtures would be best for my needs and what length should I get for my tank 30" or 36"?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Check out the Current USA Satellite+ set up, as well. It's pretty good.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I believe the Ray2 is the better finnex fixture for plants, not sure how it stacks upto the Satellite haven't seen specs on that ones LED's yet it definitely has the nicer features with the remote though.

The ray2 hooks up to the ends of the tank so the 36" would be easiest, if you planned to mount it to a canopy or something or other you could get away with using the 30"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store