A little bit of algae problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kenshinH

AC Members
May 30, 2013
inside a cave
Hi guys! my 75gal heavily planted tank has been having some algae problem(just a little)
info:
75gal heavily planted
seachem Excel everyday
Odyssea dual T5 HO( zoomed flora sun,ultra sun bulb) 6hrs a day
EI dosing 3x a week
Plants: swords, ludwigia, wisteria, java fern, willow leaf hygrophila, cabomba, anubias, melon sword, hygrophilia
I suspect my lighting is causing the algae, do i need to downgrade to dual T8' s ?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
How many watts total do you have??

Agro

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Treviso - Italy
When started the tank?
Water values?
Lamp age, watt and kelvin?
Post a image all tank.
A bit of algae are normal

kenshinH

AC Members
May 30, 2013
inside a cave
Tanker: 54w each total of 108w, it started when i switched to T5, before i was using T8 but i only dose excel and flourish.

Agro:
tank started may
values/
ph7
ammo 0
nitrate 0
Nitrate 10 to 40 (sometimes)
Lamp age: a month now
This is my only planted tank the other is an oScar tnak

kenshinH

AC Members
May 30, 2013
inside a cave
additional info:

The distance of fixture from the substrate is 22"
distance of fixture from the water is 3 1/2"

Do i need to raise it up?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It looks like diatoms to me. They are often seen with new tanks and it goes away on it's own in time. You can manual remove it if you like but that is usually not needed, nerite snails and oto catfish loves this stuff too.

Agro

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Treviso - Italy
It's diatoms, typical of new tank.
I by the time I would just clean, not would insert animals especially the oto. It just takes a little patience will go away by themselves

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Have you looked into pressurized co2? On a tank that size with the lighting and fert dosing, excel is not going to be cheap in the long run.

How old is the tank and how long has it been cycled? I agree about the diatoms though. They are easy to wipe off and usually go away on their own. Quite a few things that eat them too but then you need to make sure they are fed once make work of it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Ken, I agree with the above.

A 48" twin T5HO fixture is not too much light for a 75g. If anything it's on the med/low end for lighting. How much Excel are you dosing daily? You might need to up that a bit (your carbon source for CO2).

kenshinH

AC Members
May 30, 2013
inside a cave
Ken, I agree with the above.

A 48" twin T5HO fixture is not too much light for a 75g. If anything it's on the med/low end for lighting. How much Excel are you dosing daily? You might need to up that a bit (your carbon source for CO2).

Freshyfresh: ive been dosing 1 tsp(5ml) daily of excel, do i need to dose more excel?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store