Diagnose Angel Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Registered Member
Aug 2, 2013
Victoria BC Canada
Hi all:

I am new to the group. I have an angel with stuff on her pectorals where they join the body. I have been treating with Pimafix for 5 days in a 10 gallon isolation tank. There has been no improvement. I started treating with Melafix today. Her mate is in the tank with her and has not picked up the problem. Both are eating well and behaving normally. I will attempt to attach a photo. I would appreciate any advice.

P1150685.JPG P1150686.JPG

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Maybe it's just me but it looks more like growths then fungus. Could try adding a little salt to see if that helps. I would also google the symptoms to see if you can find out what's going on. Good luck and post if anything else pops up.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Registered Member
Aug 2, 2013
Victoria BC Canada
OK, thanks. I have tried looking on the 'net and can't find anything that looks or sounds like this. She doesn't act sick, so if there is no change with the Melafix, which claims it treats bacterial infections, I will put them both back into the community and hope for the best.

Registered Member
Aug 2, 2013
Victoria BC Canada
SOS!! This angel has suddenly stopped using the gill on the right side, which is the one with the most affected pectoral. She is breathing very quickly, about twice the speed of her mate. Help!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
could be flukes or another external parasite..tho flukes can infect the gills as well.

what are the water parameters?

Registered Member
Aug 2, 2013
Victoria BC Canada
LOL. I knew this would be the next question.

Ph 7.6, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrites 0, and Nitrate 5.0. I have been having trouble dealing with the ammonia, even though I used media from my large filter and water from the tank they were in before, which runs around Ph of 7-6.4 depending on CO2 levels and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and usually 10-20 nitrates. So...I gave up and put them both back in the community tank.

Infested (infected) one is now breathing with both gills and seems to have calmed down. Maybe that slight bit of ammonia, given her condition, caused her stress.

Regardless, I have never (22 years in freshwater) had success with hospital tanks. The water parameters seem too hard to maintain. So I reverted to my usual stance of letting the course of events play out, as long as the water is good. What pushed me over the edge is that this is a mated pair. I find it so hard to find mates for angels when one dies.

Thanks for your interest :clap:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store