Never heard of these snails before...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I was cruising aquarium site and found these snails.

Anybody have these or know anything about them?
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
They seem really cool. there isn't much info out there on them that i can find... besides random people saying they burrow like MTS, but they don't reproduce as fast...

Here's something the the rest to copy/paste ;)
[h=2]Thiara winteri[/h]

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
There were threads on here about them in '09, so they're not completely unheard of. They're just rare in the hobby.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I think I might order some if I can find some more info, at the very least they look unique. Thanks for telling me about the older post.

lesleyx

AC Members
May 20, 2012
Scotland
Real Name
Lesley
Camera Used
Mobile
I had a couple of thiara snail's a year ago, a seller sent me them when I bought some tylos. They're just like mts they love to bury in the sand and come out at night. Mine sadly didn't survive as at the time I had gravel and they struggled to get through it. They're cool looking snail's :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Wow, they do look pretty cool.

Too bad they wouldn't survive in my substrate since it's too big for them to get around.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I think I might order some if I can find some more info, at the very least they look unique. Thanks for telling me about the older post.

I only found it because I went "WTF is that?" and copied/pasted into google, and some of the results pointed to older threads here. :woot:

They do look pretty cool, but if only the wild caught have the spikes, and subsequent generations have smaller/fewer, I'm not sure I'd want to invest in them at that rate.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Yeah the erosion of the spikes made me question buy em. Sounds like people have problems feeding them and they die. Also noticed there is no clear care instructions...

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
That's what I found when I researched it yrs ago, like MTS but stockier and lose spikes after captive breeding. And the big price tag kept me away.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
If they are kept in all natural potting soil instead of gravel, the spikes should remain there right?
I never tired using potting soil as substrate, but I want to give it a try one day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store