Selling back fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EvanH

AC Members
Dec 25, 2003
Visit site
Do LFSs really buy back fish, as I've heard? I'm trying to convert to SW, and need to get rid of my current residents. Do they pay back at good rates?

Philbe

AC Members
Oct 13, 2003
ottawa canada
Visit site
I would imagine it would depend on the type and quality of fish but in my experience you get half of their selling price per fish.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Mine offers me 1/3 the selling price, I think it's fair, besides, I'm not gonna haggle.

But with some fish, like swordtails, guppies and those prodigeous breeders, I wouldn't expect anything since they're soooo easy to breed. Besides, at 1/3 I'd only get like 0.50 per fish anyway...

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I've found great variances in this policy as well, depends on the fish, the LFS, and the market. Ask before you take your fish out of the tank. I used to sell back Oscars at $5 per inch, and then buy 1" oscars from the same store for $.99 the big thing to remember is most stores give credit not cash, so deal with LFS's you plan to shop at later. Other LFS's in my area won't take back fish even for free.

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
My LFS puts all the fish that come back into a tank in the back and kills all the fish at a latter time. It’s not worth his time to treat for something that someone brought back to him. I think this is the main reason why there is so much ick every where.

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
I know my LFS only puts new fish into Q-tanks for a week. If the fish are healthy when they get sent they should be health when they get to there new home. He gives them a week so the weak ones will die before going into the main tanks. Less die in the view of the people from stress from transportation.

Now he will by fish that have been bread form costumers but they do get a longer q-tank time and he will go to your house and look at your tanks before he will buy anything. He will only buy 20 or more when he dose this.

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
I'm hoping to bring back some fish, as I'd like to change the type of one of my tanks. I know some owners of the local stores so I am hoping they will take my fish.

I would never expect to get money for my fish, unless they were unique or expensive fish. I'd be happy to find a LFS that would return fish and not kill them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store