Horizontal Heater + Protective casing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I was using the Hydor heater and after about 2 years it finally broke. The bottom of the tube cracked off.. . I'm going to assume the turtles some how broke it since I turned it off for the summer.
Is there a heater that has protective casing that would work if placed horizontally?

I was looking at ViaAqua Titanium Aquarium Heater, but i read someone commented that the instructions said not to place it horizontally.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
TetraFauna has some. They have notches for the cord to come out at different angles, so hopefully it's ok to be horizontal. It never occurred to me that a heater couldn't go horizontally unless it wasn't fully submersible

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
This brand of heaters cannot be used in a horizontal position. There is no mention of this until you open the box.
Blew the circuit breaker !!!
*Shrug*

Source:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RQ2A468BRXXWR/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005345YLI&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

Tetra Fauna has the ones that are preset to 73 degrees and only goes up to 100 watts.
They do have some that uses more wattage, but it's not protected. I guess any warmer it would melt the plastic?

Last edited:

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah this is what i had been looking for -- thanks!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
From what research I had done, horizontal vs. vertical mounting is largely going to be an issue if you're worried about the automatic shut off feature that some heaters have for when they're out of the water. Most models have those sensors at the top of the heater, so a vertical mounting allows the sensor to work. Horizontal mounting doesn't allow the heat to rise up to the sensor. That said, I think most people that mount their heaters horizontally are doing so fairly low in the tank, so being out of the water is usually not an issue.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I just got the Fluval E Series Heaters in the mail today, but unfortunately like some other heaters, the instructions "inside" the package said it cannot be used horizontally nor can it be fully submerged.
It's a good thing Amazon makes it easy to return. (though, i might keep it for my 20 gallon) So, my search continues...

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
After reading many reviews where people actually still used it horizontally and they all suggested it works just fine. I decided to try it out and I can confirm it works perfectly normal.
:)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Does the heater have an auto shut off feature for when it's out of the water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store