Trim broken off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
So during transit my 15 gallon must have slid or bumped into something and part of the bottom trim along one of the shorter sides was broken off. The way it sits right now it is level because that side isn't completely un-trimmed, but I also wasn't sure if there would be too much pressure once filled with water. The silicone still looks to be all there, but I haven't yet been able to test for a leak.

I know the trim can be more of a cosmetic thing as people create trimless tanks, but does that require a complete reseal? Is there an easy way to make sure the tank is still salvageable? I'll try to test for a leak ASAP but I'm still in the process of moving into a new apartment.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
As long as it hold water there is no need for a reseal (with or without trim attached) and it is certainly salvageable. I've done tons of research on the topic over the years. I have yet to find a first hand account of anyone de-rimming a smallish tank, say 20g and under and have it fail. Honestly I have not seen anyone have a larger tank (without a center brace originally) fail either but I wasn't looking for those cases. I say go rimless! 15g is a perfect size for it, fairly thick glass for such a small tank.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Check out my 5.5 rimless thread in my signature. I had to reseal the tank because there was nearly no silicone left on it but you can skip that part. It was really quite easy if you have the right tools.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store