Safest way to remove spot algae from the glass?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Ordinary mop doesn't help. Nerita snails are fantastic, they eat spots in one slurp, but would require far too many snails to keep your glass spotless.
Magnetic cleaners? Could be dangerous to the glass... especially if you accidentally take your magnet to the bottom and get tiny sand particles inside.
Razor blades? Never tried them... could they be the best way?

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I would never use magnetic cleaners again for the exact reason you stated above. Normally I just use my fingernails and if its still doesn't come off, thats when I take out the razor blade.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Credit card. ok probably not your real currently active credit/debit card, I don't think green spot algae is good for the magnetic strip that gives you Munnies when you use the card. But something of similar nature: grocery loyalty card, expired AAA card, whatever. Hard plastic and a towel handy for drips; scrape down in one motion then, holding just as hard, scrape back up. It's the upstroke that takes off most of the gunk. Move one card width to the side and repeat until you run out of tank, algae or both. Moving up and down keeps water from sloshing around so much and also minimizes disturbance to plants if any.

Yes you get your arm all wet. That's what the towel is for. This aversion to getting our hands in water is what lets the magnetic algae remover industrial complex thrive, and as noted above their devices are both useless and Evil. But the card (mine is a Petco "Pet Perks" card which I care nothing about as their store is too far away and I go there maybe once in five years) method is cheap/free, removes that thin film buildup along with the green spot, black beard or any other crud infesting your tank and makes it all nice and sparkly.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I use the Kent Marine Pro-Scraper with the stainless steel blade.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I always stick my arm into the tank to clean the glass or move stuff around. Just wash it before and after. It helps of course to have a tile floor!

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I tried the fingernail method and it worked flawlessly! :D I'm already using my expired debit cards (I use those cards in like 100 ways) attached to the flat wooden mixing spoon and it serves as the gravel/substrate "polisher" and mover. But today I tried it on the glass and plastic was fantastic! Thanks. That's exactly what I needed. :)
Of course, my hands are always wet and often get wrinkled when working in my tank! :clap:

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Maybe some how attach credit card on a stick? :p
hahaha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store