Boosting voltage on my LED lights

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
The AC adapter on my light crapped out so I bought one with selectable DC output voltage. The original one was 12 volts but I noticed that the lights get considerably brighter at 16 and really bright at 19 volts. I like the look at 16 volts so I'm going to keep it there. LEDs might burn out sooner but we'll see if the lights can take it. I might look into building a circuit where I can dial a specific voltage to create a dimmer.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Be careful. As you increase the voltage the junction temperature of the diode also increases. Too much and the LED's will burn out. You can increase your heat removal with heat sinking and/or fans to help wick away this heat to make the diodes last longer.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Yes the light housing is a bit warmer at 16 volts. I think I will drill some vents ontop for cooling.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I took my BeamsWork light apart and noticed that the entire aluminum outer housing is being used as one big heat sink for the LED circuit board. So it's a good thing that the housing is a bit warm. I decided to not drill holes in it because of this. I have my air conditioning set to 74, so I think/hope the diodes will survive the extra "juice". I'm curious how my plants/algae will react to the increased light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store