New 65 gallon mbuna stocking.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Just got a new display tank built (65 gallon) and it is cycling right now.

My wife wants more mbunas, and we both want "rustys" and I'm wondering if demasonis will be ok with rustys, and if you guys had any thoughts on what else I could put in there. I would like to keep it strictly a mbuna tank.

Oh, and is there anything that can be kept with crabros? (They're in a 55 gallon with some rockwork and open water above.) If not, will they do better among themselves if I bump their numbers to spread aggression?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Last edited:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have never had a Demasonis, but I have kept Carbos. I love the color and they are "IMO" Peaseful Giants. As a Pseudotropheus, it does grow fairly big. I have had them over 6" long. So in a 55, I would only keep a trio, 1 male and 2 females. They will crowd a 55 very quickly.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Crabos are one of the most aggressive mbuna you can get. Maybe some zebras would be able to stand up to them depending on how big they are now. Auratus don't mess around and should be ok. It will be a pretty aggressive set up so expect some losses.

As far as the original question, demasoni are some of my favorite mbuna. The deal with them though is you need 1 or 12+ otherwise they kill each other off. A 65 gallon is only 3 feet long so you are limited in the number of mbuna species you can keep. Ps saulosi are a great addition. They are also a dwarf species only getting to be about 3 inches. They are also a pseudotropheus but don't get big at all. Pseudotropgeus is a huge group of fish of all different sizes. Just because that is the genus does not mean the fish gets large.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_saulosi.php

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
The 65 gallon is a 4' tank. Dimensions are 48"x13.5" footprint at 25" deep.

If I put only crabros in my 55 gallon how many would you recommend?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Oh good to hear. My 65 gallon is 3 feet long. That opens up a few more options.

As for the crabros, I would start with 8-10 juvies and let them work it out. You will loose some as they mature but hopefully will end up with a nice group of 1 male to 4-5 females.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah if you are going to do the P. Crab's in a 55gal start out 2" Juveniles and allow them to grow up together, Some Red Zebra's or Kenyi will fit in there with them but like others have said you will loose a few to aggression.. Just stock the crap out of it at first..

As for that 65gal the Rusty's and the Demasoni will probably be the only thing you can do, buy as many Demasoni as possible at least 12 of them.. If you have to have something else in there you could possibly add another species maybe some Trewavasae or Fuellerborni..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store