Need help with light fixture

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jemflowers

AC Members
Aug 16, 2013
I am new here, so "Hello". I had planted tanks 10 years ago and then stopped, and now just getting back into it. I bought a compact flourescent light fixture on ebay, and it has 4 bulbs in it.
One of the bulbs stopped working, I think it burned out cuz the end of it is black. Then again, it looks like a wire is hanging out too. Hmmm.
How do I get the bulbs out of it? I'm afraid of breaking it. It's not like a shoplight where you just turn the bulbs and they come out. Here's my fixture:http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Aquarium-...item3f0e127271
BTW I'm running 2 6700k bulbs and 2 bulbs that came with it "T5 HO 54W 12000k". I dunno what those are (for reefs?) Is this a good set up?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Can you take a picture of the contact points where the bulbs connect to the fixture? Most CFL tubes have two pins on the end, the tube rotates and then the bulb can be slid out.

The 12000k bulbs are a spectrum generally used for reefs. Plants bulbs are typically 6700k. I believe you just have some wasted light with the 12000k although someone more familiar with the technical aspects of lighting may be able to tell you more.

We could also tell you more about how much light this provides based on the size and depth of the tank.

Jemflowers

AC Members
Aug 16, 2013
Oh sorry! It's a typical 55 gallon tank. How do you post pictures in a forum? I think the ebay page said the bulbs were
"power compact bulbs straight pin (....)" if that helps?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
As I understand it, power compact and the bulbs saying T5HO are mutually exclusive. The bulb shapes, wattages, and connectors are not the same. If so, then either you're incorrect with what you're telling us, or the eBay seller is incorrect in the description. I'm inclined to believe the latter.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I assume with those you simply grab the bulb by the base and firmly pull it out.
But I could be wrong...

Jemflowers

AC Members
Aug 16, 2013
So do you guys think that I should replace the 12000k bulbs with 6700k bulbs? Then I will have 4, is that too much or enough?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Depends. Are your plants high light plants? Are you running pressurized CO2?

Jemflowers

AC Members
Aug 16, 2013
Most of my plants are high light to moderate light. I just got my DIY CO2 setup going, but I don't think it's working. :( I have 2 2 liter bottles and used silicon tubing, and spliced them together with a 3 way valve. Then I hooked it up to a Red Sea CO2 reactor 500. It's been 24 hrs and I see no bubbles, the soda bottles look "flat". I used 2 c sugar, 1/4 tsp yeast and water. I checked for leaks near the seal on the soda cap using soapy water. nothing. I siliconed the crap out of those holes I drilled.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I always used about 1/2-2/3 tsp yeast, myself...along with a 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Regarding the 3-way that you used; is it a plastic valve or just a tee? If it is indeed a valve, that could be a leaky spot. If it's a brass valve, then it's less likely to leak.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store