need better lighting.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bobsaget

AC Members
Feb 19, 2011
i have a 30g tank ,with a regular tank lid and regular light. im sick of the [few] plants i have growing super slow. and i hate the pinkish tinted lighting. ive seen some excellent tank lighting on here, but i dont want to add a light figure that needs its own new compartment. i just want to stick it back where the other light went. so, what do i need to look for? and is this possible, or do i need a new lid or somethig?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What are you using right now...just stock lighting or what?

You can certainly upgrade lighting, but keep in mind that it isn't the only thing that would need to be tweaked to accommodate faster growing/more demanding plants. Are you willing to dose carbon/CO2 or nutrients? What plants do you have right now?

Most lights are fine sitting on a lid, or have specific "legs" for mounting.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
If you end up getting new lights you dont neccesarily need a lid unless you have fish that are known to jump ( or animals that like to sit on top the fish tank... Like cats) just keep in mind that the more light you add to the tank you may need to start dosing ferts and have CO2.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bobsaget

AC Members
Feb 19, 2011
yes, i have stock everything. i have java fern and java moss in there right now. the java fern is growing..but extremely slowly. all i want to do is take out the tubed light bulb in my existing tank lid, and put in a better/brighter tubed light bulb in the same tank lid. but i wasnt sure if that was possible? and i wasnt sure what to look for when i go to the store and get better lighting. i dont want to do any crazy demanding plants. just other simple plants that are hardy, and will grow in almost anything. i just want it to be lighter in my tank, and just want the plants to have an easier time growing. :]

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm a bit confused about what you want to do...

If you have T8/T10/T12 fixture, only those size bulbs fit. You can find different bulbs of the same size, as some produce a different spectrum (most anything marketed for plants will be fine), but your fixture's ballast can only power so much...so "brightness" will be relative.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store