Experienced tank builders sound off!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I recently moved into an apartment that has a huge windowsill - about 1.3 meters wide and 75 cm deep. The window is 1.8 meters tall.....and, in my opinion, it is just begging to have an aquarium put on the ledge. I have priced custom made tanks and they are, well, really expensive custom prices. The tank would be 1.35 meters by 60 cm tall by 50 deep. I can buy a ready made tank that is 1.2 m long but it is only 40 cm deep, and I would like to raise larger fish that will need room to turn around. Also, the visual impact of having a tank completely fill a natural cavity - i.e. the window - is impressive. I have priced 12mm tempered glass (the same thing that the builders would use) and found the cost of the glass and silicon to be able 1/3 of the cost quoted by the builders....so...the idea of a DIY tank is very gentle on the mind right now. I have some webpages...seems straight forward enough...how to calculate the exact size of the pieces, given the need to form a box. Glue the pieces together, clamp in place until the silicon dries, add stones, water, fish and enjoy! Seem simple...but is it really that simple?I would like to hear from some of you who have tried this...what problems did you have?

Do you have to apply two beads of silicon - one between the two pieces of glass and then one on the inner corner of the joint - or just one - sorry, but most directions were not clear on this.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Is the window facing North? If not the sun light is really going to promote algae growth in that tank. Also, have you accounted for the space needed for the filtration equipment? Stands are nice because you can hide stuff in there.

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
Good thinking but I am going to paint the back of the aquarium so that the light/algae growth will not be an issue. Stands are good, yes. I have a small cabinet that will be near the tank, on the floor that is big enough to house the filtration system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store