Critique my scape.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I'm havin some troubles tweaking this one to a way I like it. I need something to fill in the space in the back. I'm not sure what plants to use. I might move the ludwigia repens 'Rubin' from the right to the middle back. Also thought about trimming the lidwigia repens 'green' on the left and planting that there. Or maybe a whole new plant, vals, wisteria?

Also I'm thinking of pulling the stuff in the front center and planting something to carpet. Maybe HC or glosso.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
never been a fan of tall stem plants in the front. I'd move the green ones on the left toward the back and fill in with what others suggested - rosette plants - small swords or crypts.

I'd keep those red stems on the right side and put Bylxa in front of them from the side glass to a third of the way toward the center, then I'd stick a big leaved Anubias (coffeafolia maybe) in between the "V" of the right side branch

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Maybe something with a different growth habit like vals, crypt spiralis or c. balansae. Or some small crypts on either side in front
This. ^
I was thinking of Spiralis, as well...for the mid background. Also agree with smaller crypts along the sides/front and C. parva would be an excellent candidate. Some Cardamine lyrata would look great in there anywhere.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I think they are going to help out a ton. I removed the rotala indica that was planted in the back center and planted a couple jungle vals. I've also ordered some additional plants. There will be an HC carpet and some Blyxa Japonica in the front/midground. Also ordered a few C. Spiralis which I may growout in another tank or possibly emersed since I've been considering an emersed setup recently. Then they may eventually replace the vals down the line.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
New plants came today so I did another little rescape. I removed the Micranthemum micranthemoides and Pogostemon Erectus from the front. Blyxa went in the front right, HC front and center, and a couple C. Spiralis in the back center. Try to ignore the two bunches of Persicaria planted front left and left of the Spiralis. They are likely temporary for this tank.

My initial thoughts are that there is too distinct of a separation between the Blyxa and the HC. I'm not too sure what I can do about this but I will play around with the Blyxa placement a bit later. Maybe plant a couple in the back to the right of the C. Spiralis?
newscape.jpeg

newscape.jpeg

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I'd pull some of the bylxa in the front and put them in front of the spiralis in kind of an "S" formation with the rest of it ( hope that makes sense)

take the HC that was displaced by the bylxa and put it in the front were you took the Bylxa out, tying that in with the front portions of HC in the center.

Basically swapping out the rear HC for the front Bylxa

I do like the rest an awful lot though! Looks great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store