Whole house water filtration systems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Seems like a waste of money to me. Municipalities have to meet EPA standards, our fish do fine with dechlorinated tap water.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I can't imagine it's doing anything beneficial that something cheaper could do a la a dechlorinating product...and if you're really worried about TDS, a good RO/DI unit would cost a lot less, but maybe not as quick for filling purposes.

Also interesting that they even state that it's only been third party tested for chlorine odor/taste. So really who knows what it's doing in terms of heavy metals, TDS, VOCs, microbes, etc.

Last edited:

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Concur with everyone else if on municipality water its likely a waste. I have regular $180 5 stage rodi system.

I did start using rodi on my freshwater tanks, now instead of using Prime I have to add Equilibrium, can't say that my fish seem to notice any difference, how ever my shrimp do seem like they may breed a bit more.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
We have very hard water in my area. The idea of this whole house filter would be to reduce corrosion in pipes and have better washing and showering water. I thought perhaps it could also be useful for fishkeeping purposes.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
It's possible, just they aren't very specific in how well it removes anything other than specifically chlorine. You might want to dig deeper and see if there's any testing regarding TDS/GH/KH/pH or other important trace minerals (Ca, Mg, Fe, etc.)

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Yeah, that information seems to be lacking in all of these home filtration products I've been checking out.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It sounds like a water softener. If that's what it is, it probably adds salinity to the water. When I was younger, we long term house sat (2 years) for a family friend that had to go to South Korea for work. The house had a water softener. All the indoor houseplants died off, and if you knew just how green my mom's thumb is, you'd know how weird that is. When she replaced them, she started bringing water in from the outside, and the plants did that normal lush growth she coaxes out of them. I hated showering in it, because I never felt I rinsed clean. That could also be problematic for your tanks.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
However it is softening the water (via potassium or NaCl) it is likely not as good for aquarium use as tap water. Reverse osmosis water is the only filtration system that I can safely say is best for aquarium use, but only if you reconstitute it (and do so with a certain amount of consistency and precision).

Contrary to popular belief, hard water can be a blessing in aquaria:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwhardness.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store