Additional filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I do.
It easier to clean the sponge off of the intake every week then to keep cleaning the canister. Ever since I started doing this, I now only clean my canister once every 2 months.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Does fluval make a similar prefilter that has a bigger diameter? Its a very tight fit on my intake tube. Mine after 2 weeks reduced flow by 50%. I would like to find a similar one, it was too hard to remove being so tight fitting.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Just order yourself a couple of these Fluval Edge prefilters:http://www.valuepetsupplies.com/flu...aign=cse&utm_content=A1387&CA_6C15C=396463529They are cheap and incredibly durable. I clean mine every week or few days and have never seen a reduction in flow.
I can't stand those. I slapped one on to my AC 70, and the draw from the filter compresses that prefilter to the point where it obstructs over 90% of flow within 3 days, at the most. I cut an AC 20 sponge block to fit onto the intake, and use that for my prefilter. It eventually clogs, but it's a good while before that happens, and you'll see a gradual reduction in flow, alerting you that it's becoming an issue well before it seriously decreases flow.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, the only thing that's a bummer about putting a big sponge over the intake is, things like big turds will just cruise right on past as opposed to getting sucked in.

Darn turds with their cruising and whatnot.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I should have pointed out that I do use a cut out AC sponge in my big canister filter intake. If the filter is too powerful it will overwhelm the little fluval prefilter. I'd say the fluval sponge is good for smaller filters under 250gpm or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store