Royal Pleco has Ick. Raised temp to 100?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Humuhumu85

Registered Member
Aug 20, 2013
Royal Pleco has Ick. Raised temp to 100°

Okay so I got a royal pleco. He came with ick apparently. I have plants and other pleco fish so I didn't want to use chemicals. I decided also that I didn't wanna use salt. I slowly raised the temp over the course of a day to 100° yeah I know it's warn. Everyone is fine...well some tetras died but the Royal, bristle nose and two long fins survived about a day now. All thy be okay until I know the ick is dead? Please no negative comments.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm not sure I can't say anything negative. Clearly 100F isn't good as there were deaths. I highly suggest lowering that, even for those who try the heat only method for ich only go about 86-88F.

Keep in mind that warmer water can only hold so much O2 no matter how much aeration...there's no sense at all in boiling your fish!

Humuhumu85

Registered Member
Aug 20, 2013
Well my tank is usually at 85-90. I know it seems high but I live in a warm climate and it usually hovers around there. Everyone I eating on a cucumber so I think they are okay.

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Wow... 100° that is 10° above your upper range of "normal". I recommend immediately lowering the temperature in your tank. I live in west Texas where the temperature is in triple digits (100°+) most of the summer; I keep African cichlids and their tank stays at 80°. It sounds to me like there are other issues causing disease in your tank. For the love of god, please lower the temperature in your tank. I'm sure it isn't good for the fish you have left.

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
Although ick wont survive 100 it also will du at 86 there is no point in 100. Just like if you try to boil water at 110c it will boil just as quick at 100c

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'd highly suggest doing something extra to lower those temps. A fan across the top of the water, floating ice...some fish may be able to handle a short bout of extreme heat during summers but it's not something they should e exposed to for very long, otherwise you're looking at shorter life expectancies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store