Good mbuna for my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
In my 55g I currently have 5 electric yellows and I am looking to add some more mbuna to my tank, preferably a more peaceful fish that wont grow too large. Since my electric yellows have really made themselves a home and are growing and showing some brilliant colors I figured it is time to add some new guys. Mainly because it will draw attention from some of the females that get picked on.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
There's lots of them, to name a few peacocks, red zebra, acei, demasoni. These are just the few that I've kept. Although the demasoni weren't exactly the friendliest of the bunch. They're all relatively close in size to the yellow labs.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Acei are really wonderful fish, they are on the more peaceful side of the mbunas, tend to swim around the top and make for an impressive fish when full grown. I did keep them in my 72g (4ftx1.5ft) tank for awhile but they really needed a bigger tank by the time I sold them being that my male was nearing 7" and they are rather active. Since your tank isn't as deep I don't think they'd be happy there long term, just means you'll need a bigger tank eventually! :D

If you are trying to stay with the more peaceful species...you picked the wrong group of fish. :) But seriously rusties and acei are within the labs temperament. Red zebras tend to be ruthless monsters. I didn't want to believe it when I got my OB red zebras (avatar) but everyone was right and I had to get rid of them because they just started tearing each other apart, literally! Demasoni could be a beautiful display with your labs but they are mean to each other and you have to get at least 12 adults to spread the aggression or you'll end up with 1. That is something I wanted to do myself actually because it does make a beautiful tank with minimal effort too.

Also, adding new guys to older guys can be VERY tricky. Labs MAY not be too bad but make sure the new guys aren't too much smaller then the old guys and re-arrange the tank when you add the new ones. Since you already have fish in the tank and can't add them all at once add the least aggressive species first and try to add them in the biggest groups you can at a time so they can spread the aggression out. Good luck!

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
Acei are really wonderful fish, they are on the more peaceful side of the mbunas, tend to swim around the top and make for an impressive fish when full grown. I did keep them in my 72g (4ftx1.5ft) tank for awhile but they really needed a bigger tank by the time I sold them being that my male was nearing 7" and they are rather active. Since your tank isn't as deep I don't think they'd be happy there long term, just means you'll need a bigger tank eventually! :D

If you are trying to stay with the more peaceful species...you picked the wrong group of fish. :) But seriously rusties and acei are within the labs temperament. Red zebras tend to be ruthless monsters. I didn't want to believe it when I got my OB red zebras (avatar) but everyone was right and I had to get rid of them because they just started tearing each other apart, literally! Demasoni could be a beautiful display with your labs but they are mean to each other and you have to get at least 12 adults to spread the aggression or you'll end up with 1. That is something I wanted to do myself actually because it does make a beautiful tank with minimal effort too.

Also, adding new guys to older guys can be VERY tricky. Labs MAY not be too bad but make sure the new guys aren't too much smaller then the old guys and re-arrange the tank when you add the new ones. Since you already have fish in the tank and can't add them all at once add the least aggressive species first and try to add them in the biggest groups you can at a time so they can spread the aggression out. Good luck!
Hmm... Maybe the Acei wouldn't be so good for my 55g then. The Rusties seem pretty ideal for my setup after researching them a bit :D

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Good boy/girl, taking advice you asked for AND researching! We have a winner! :D

I have no personal experience with them but afras might fit in there well too. If you get rusties be patient, their awesome purple color will come.

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
Good boy/girl, taking advice you asked for AND researching! We have a winner! :D

I have no personal experience with them but afras might fit in there well too. If you get rusties be patient, their awesome purple color will come.
I am always open to advice! Plus i love fish keeping so researching isn't really a chore for me. :D

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store