Doubling light and halving time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Just curious, if I double the light output can I cut the duration by half and would the plants do just as well?

goneRogue

AC Members
Aug 2, 2013
In theory maybe, however this is not practical in reality as it quickly becomes very complicated. You would have to double the nutrients and co2 to maintain balance which have limits, light intensity isn't linear, etc.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you eat twice as much one day and nothing the next, will you be healthy?

Your body--and the plants--are limited in what they can utilize and produce in a given time. Doubling the light available won't increase the plants ability to USE the light. Might burn them though.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I'm thinking of mounting a new (2nd) light to shine horizontally into tank when I'm not at home then reducing the light from on top when I'm home. Althis to minize light on the sand where nasty stuff grows.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Won't work. Cyano uses light, but will grow without it. You'll make your existing plants grow in strange directions (and potentially mess with the fish, since they orient themselves based on the light).

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Something is wrong, to cause the cyanobacteria. It's not the lights. Can we get a FTS?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Is this the tank in your avatar? I only see a couple plants...a sword? & ? Most plants can get by on 6 hours if "everything" is in balance, CO2, ferts etc. What size tank with what lights & plants? Water parameters?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store