Cichlid Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I was thinking about getting a Red Tailed Shark, and I’veread that Cichlids are the one of the better tank mates for them. If I do get aRed Tailed Shark, I’ve also been thinking about the possibility of getting aCichlid for a tank mate. I personally now very little about Cichlids in general,and while I do like Oscars, I wouldn’t have to money to get the proper tanksize. I was wondering what are the Cichlids that are on the smaller size about6-10 inches?

Also I read somewhere that Angelfish are a Cichlid relation,is this true?

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
ok, thanks.
Would you happen to now if Angelfish can live with Red Tailed Sharks?

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
It should be okay... Since the sharks will stay towards the bottom and angels will be mid-top so space should be okay. I would just be concerned if the angels started to form pairs they could be aggressive but you can try it out. A lot of people keep them together.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013

That’s good, that might be an option.

Out of curiosity is the only difference between African andsouth American cichlids that of their origin?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I was thinking about getting a Red Tailed Shark, and I’veread that Cichlids are the one of the better tank mates for them. If I do get aRed Tailed Shark, I’ve also been thinking about the possibility of getting aCichlid for a tank mate. I personally now very little about Cichlids in general,and while I do like Oscars, I wouldn’t have to money to get the proper tanksize. I was wondering what are the Cichlids that are on the smaller size about6-10 inches?

Also I read somewhere that Angelfish are a Cichlid relation,is this true?
There are many cichlids that stay that size. Jack dempseys, green terrors, convicts, angels, parrots, etc. Etc. The list keeps going. But with most of these tank size is a huge factor on territorial agression, the spread of agression, and growth. What size tank do you have?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Not the only difference. African cichlids are widely varied, and the different types are different personalities, but most are at least semi-aggressive. Mbuna, for example, are primarily herbivores, I believe. I also think most African cichlids (aside from shell dwellers) rely heavily on rocks for territory. It's apparently common to densely (relatively, at least) stock African cichlids to curb aggression some.

This is going to be a case of find something you're interested in, and research it, regardless of where it's from.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
To Verbal and Ktrom13,
At the moment I dont have a tank yet, im doing reserch to make sure I can get the right fit for them. Also I want to find out if I will be able to get the proper size tank, for them.
At the moment I can really only aford a 40 gallon tank tops, so would it be possible to keep a RTS and a Cichlid together or if not just a RTS?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store