New to LEDs, need Light suggestions!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sadrienne

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
Hey guys,
I have a 32"x32"x32" cube tank (140 gal, approximately) that will be a planted tank with a similar aquascape to this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...FsVUoy5Dob42AXplYDQAg&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAw&dur=400

...with either dwarf baby tears (HC Cuba) or dwarf hairgrass as a carpet. I want a really nice carpet, so I need really strong lighting to go through 30+ inches of depth before it reaches the carpet level.

I am used to fluorescent lighting and the old rule of thumb (3+ watts per gallon for high light plants).
I am NOT familiar with LEDs so I am totally lost as to how to make sure I have enough light. There will not be CO2 added, so I need strong light!

I bought the Fluval Aqualife & Plant LED 25w, but I have a feeling it won't be enough. Should I get a secondary light to supplement it? If so, which one?

Also, would you recommend the hairgrass or the dwarf baby tears as the carpet and why?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Strong light + no CO2 = algae, usually. I wouldn't be expecting a nice carpet without it either, especially with HC (DHG isn't as fussy). Were you planning on dosing any ferts?

For LEDs you may want to look at buildmyled.com as they have some pretty high PAR fixtures from what I've looked at.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Strong light + no CO2 = algae, usually. I wouldn't be expecting a nice carpet without it either, especially with HC (DHG isn't as fussy). Were you planning on dosing any ferts?

For LEDs you may want to look at buildmyled.com as they have some pretty high PAR fixtures from what I've looked at.
You'll definitely need a ton of PAR at 30 inches of height, especially for any carpeting you want done. You'll also want to look at getting at pressurized CO2 system at the same time.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I bought the Fluval Aqualife & Plant LED 25w, but I have a feeling it won't be enough.
You're right. High enough PAR to grow plants on most tanks means a lot of wattage (relatively speaking) is needed, even with LEDs. That fixture won't cut it on your tank. You're going to have to look at high end LEDs, which will have a higher up front cost, and less of short term electricity savings, than what you may be hoping for. Even so, over the life of the fixture, it'll still save a fair amount in the slightly lower utility costs and the lack of replacing bulbs annually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store