How do I get enough light??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Hello everyone, I recently have started to have an issue with brown algae. Now I know this is not uncommon with newer tanks, my 75 is just under a month old, but I read that it can also be from phosphates and silicates in the water if pulled from a well, which ours is, and also if there is low lighting. The bulbs that came with the hood are probably old which I suppose could be part of the issue, but I know like I am under lit. I have a standard 2x 40watt bulb hood with "power glow" bulbs. Before I added all the decor in it was super bright, now it seems super dim. I am swinging away from the water however as my mom's 5g has very little to no brown algae and the tank at work has very heavy brown algae and that is city water but this boom is recent as well. Any thoughts? The main reason I ask is because I have plants in the tank that I am trying to help grow a little quicker for more ground cover for my tetras and smaller fish. And for looks of course. I was doing a bit of reading earlier and stumbled across another members post that was similar to what I'm asking, but I am still a little confused. With the current set up I know I'm getting like 1WPG, but I would like to maybe shoot for 4 without switching to T5s. They aren't in the budget right now. Anyone have any thoughts????

Thanks guys,
M00n3at3r

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What plants do you currently have? Unless you have very demanding plants, I wouldn't be upgrading the lighting just yet.

Diatoms tend to go away with time. I say just wait it out. If they continue to be an issue after a few months (I've had them last longer than 6 and then disappear) then you may want to look into your water supply.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
What plants do you currently have? Unless you have very demanding plants, I wouldn't be upgrading the lighting just yet.

Diatoms tend to go away with time. I say just wait it out. If they continue to be an issue after a few months (I've had them last longer than 6 and then disappear) then you may want to look into your water supply.
Just amazons and a couple species of Java ferns. They are all young however so I don't want the algae to cover up the leaves and block the light. I know I can simply rub it off, but I do that and the next day it's back...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What's your water change schedule? What kind of filter(s) & media do you use? There's DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) in addition to diatoms. Is there window light hitting the tank? I'm having some of the same issue in my 75g but I realized I don't have any polyfil-type media in either filter & my high ceiling windows let in a good amount of light...& :eek: I've been a bit lax in the water change dept. I would NOT increase light without doing CO2. You might consider a (brain fart) rechargeable phosphate? pillow..what is it? Sorry... I'll think of it...phosguard?

goneRogue

AC Members
Aug 2, 2013
Light is probably okay for those plants. Adding more will only compound your problems. I would get new bulbs 5500K - 8000K will be fine. I usually shoot for 6500K. Since it's a new tank wait and see after that.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
What's your water change schedule? What kind of filter(s) & media do you use? There's DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) in addition to diatoms. Is there window light hitting the tank? I'm having some of the same issue in my 75g but I realized I don't have any polyfil-type media in either filter & my high ceiling windows let in a good amount of light...& :eek: I've been a bit lax in the water change dept. I would NOT increase light without doing CO2. You might consider a (brain fart) rechargeable phosphate? pillow..what is it? Sorry... I'll think of it...phosguard?
I do a weekly water change normally around 15 gallons, but I too have been a little loose with them as it is fairly under stocked. I put my tank info in my profile so you can look, all of my angels are juveniles still. My media consists of sponges, ceramic, I believe live rock and a reverse under gravel system. Where the tank sits there is a window on the opposite side of the room, but the blinds are always down so it doesn't get much or any sun light. I don't have any phosguard or silicate media which I may look into if this persists for a while.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Just upgraded to 6500k bulbs. Still t8 40 watts, but it looks brighter. One thing I noticed though is it almost looks a little green in the aquarium, isn't it true that plants don't photosynthesize green light?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Stick something white in the aquarium and see how it looks. Most aquarium glass has a greenish tint to it, so you'll be able to look through at the white object, and see how white it is, and you'll also see how white the part out of the tank looks in the light.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
No matter what you do...diatoms have to run their course. Toomuch light without proper balance as has already been mentioned, only causes more problems.
google diatoms

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
No matter what you do...diatoms have to run their course. Toomuch light without proper balance as has already been mentioned, only causes more problems.
google diatoms
I'm starting to think it's from the plant food I use. In my 10g at work I have 3 times the light needed, plus the lights in the office never turn off and it is full of brown algae. Granted, the tank is a few months old, but I didn't have any for a while. I got some algae eaters to help with it at work and I am just gonna let the 75 run its course.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store