Pond Lily

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
About 5 mins from my house there is a pond, were beavers frogs and the ocasional duck lives. Also there are manny pond lilies, though im not sure what type they are. I was wondering if I could take 1 or 2 home for my 50 gallon goldfish tank?
Would they survive in tap fish water?

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Don't see any reason why not! The water you put in your tank and the water that fills the pond are almost certainly from pretty much the same source (rain or groundwater) so that would not be a problem. Whether they would do TOO well might be a consideration. It may take some adaptation for depth more than anything else, unless the lillies are in a very shallow part of the pond.

Don't collect off public property of course, and I'm sure you would get permission from the landowner, and you should be good to go. If it doesn't work out for some reason there are smaller lillies sold specifically for fishtank use you could look into.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
I've collected two different types of lillies from local ponds and grown them in my tanks just fine, but I used soil substrate and decent lighting for them...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Pot them. There are specific pots used for pond plants. You'll want to put down soil, and cap it with sand. They need a lot of light to flower, and may need a dormant stage.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Hmm, maby ill look into the smaller ones too.
Though the only problum is that I have a bare botum tank, so maby lilies arnt the best option

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Thats true

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store