Lighting question and plan overview for 10G planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Hey guys,

I am going to be starting a new 10 Gallon planted aquarium, I have had live plants before, but never a " planted tank ". So I have some experience with live plants, but still have a few questions for this new tank im starting. I dont know specifically what kind of plants i am going to be using, probably just what ever i can get at petco and petsmart, nothing too exotic.

My first question is about lighting, I'm going to be using 120v LED bulbs i got off Ebay, they are STUPID bright. Just one is 6.4Watts, 560 lumens @ 6000K temperature. They put out an insane amount of light. I cant decide how many bulbs im going to need. I want to make sure i have enough light for the plants to grow, but i don't want to have so much light that nothing but algae grows, i HATE Algae. I am going to be keep dwarf puffers in this tank, so algae eater like otts aren't an option, they will get picked on until they die. Each bulb is 6.4 watts, im torn between using 3 bulbs ( 1.92watts per gallon ) or 4 bulbs (2.56 watts per gallon ). I have also read before that " watts per gallon " is snake oil, so im really looking for some input on this. Here is a link to the bulbs i have, i have like 17 of these bulbs i was going to use for another project, but decided to go a different route. http://www.ebay.com/itm/13076584386...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

here is the bulb i have

Here is just one bulb over the tank, as you can see its very bright! I just mocked one up real quick to get an idea of how bright one over the tank would be, im going to make a custom light fixture and it will look all professional.

My second question is about how i am going to get nutrients to the plants, i was going to do a " dirt " tank with potting soil or what ever under the gravel substrate, but i decided its not worth the effort and i dont want a chance of cloudy water, i HATE cloudy water. So i am just going to use regular substrate that i had laying around and use " Seachem Florish Tabs " buried under the substrate right at the roots of each plant. They are like little tablets that you put under the plants that slowly release nutrients to the plants roots. I wasnt planning on using Co2, and would really like to avoid it if i can, but i wouldnt be apposed to using a DIY setup if i absolutely had to.

heres a pic of the tabs i mentioned

Thanks for any input guys!

goneRogue

AC Members
Aug 2, 2013
That's too much light. WPG (watts per gallon) applies to T12 bulbs. LEDS, T5, etc. are much much more efficient. Light distribution is also very important. You don't want "hot spots" where the light is much brighter than the rest of the tank. This is best solved by raising the fixture several inches above the tank.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Photosynthetically Active Radition. It's what really matters in terms of whether or not lighting is sufficient for your plants.

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
This is everything i know about the light:

GU10 16SMDpure white560lm6.4W45-556000-6500K85V-265V 60x50 mm (LxD)

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
here is a quick mock up i did to see 3 bulbs over the tank, as you can see its VERY bright. 19.2 Watts, 1680 lumens, 1.92W/gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store