Small African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
What African cichlids can I keep in a 38 gallon? I'm only considering keeping cichlids, so if there are none that's fine. But I looked on Liveaquaria and got caudopunctatus cichlid, gold ocellatus cichlid, and marlieri cichlid. What do you think? Or would it be easier for me to keep American cichlids?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Theres also kribensis. Shell dwellers could also do.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
I've been doing more research and decided that I'm interested in Tanganyikan cichlids. If I got a bigger tank, say 55 or 75, could I do a combo of rocks and open sand so I could accommodate both rock dwellers and sand dwellers? What are some good beginner Tanganyikans of each kind?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've been doing more research and decided that I'm interested in Tanganyikan cichlids. If I got a bigger tank, say 55 or 75, could I do a combo of rocks and open sand so I could accommodate both rock dwellers and sand dwellers? What are some good beginner Tanganyikans of each kind?

N. multifasciatus is a very easy shell dweller and they also form colonies as they breed...which takes no effort at all if you have a mixed sex group. They're fine with just a pile of shells.

Julidochromis makes good tankmates with that amount of space, they just need a big rockwork pile.

The only "issue" is that in taller tanks there isn't much activity in the top half. In a 55/75 you could try Cyprichromis (non jumbo) or Paracyps eventually, the former being exclusively an open water cichlid...but they are a bit more finicky and expensive. In the meantime you could break the theme and try Rainbows or Livebearers or really any fish that would stay near the top. Generally those two types are recommended since they can deal with the harder water.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Ditto to Jpap

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
What do you think about these cookie cutter stock lists I found? I thought following one would be safer since I'm so new to cichlids I have a good grip on who goes with who.
• Cyprichromis leptosoma - 12
Select 1 pair from each group (max of 2 pairs):
• Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps
• Neolamprologus leleupi or cylindricus
• Julidochromis or Chalinochromis
• Telmatochromis vittatus, bifrenatus or brichardi

Cyprichromis leptosoma - 12 (non-jumbos)
• Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps
• Neolamprologus buescheri - 12
• Shell dweller pair of choice -
'Lamprologus' (Shellies) brevis,
multifasciatus (group), meleagris,
ornatipinnis, ocellatus, speciosus,
similis (group), Neolamprologus signatus

I'm having trouble deciding on which one I want, because I like shell dwellers, but I also like neolamprologus leleupi and the julidochromis variety from the first one, especially julidochromis marlieri. Are neolamprologus leleupi and julidochromis marlieri compatible with the shell dweller Jpap mentioned?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store