think I have ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spottea

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
California
Noticed my fairly new polka dot loach has been flicking for a couple of days, and this morning I saw the dreaded white dots on him. ****! Never had ich before in the 5 years this tank has been running. What should I do first? Raise the temp? The tank is also home to rummy nose tetras, corys, brilliant rasboros, L333, ancistrus. I know I can't use salt because of the corys who are also susceptible to medications right?
Haven't seen any dots on anyone else, but I know it's just a matter of time.
Advice please?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Can you get a good pic? You definitely don't want to start messing with anything without being absolutely positive that it is ich and not another infection.

Some "scale-less" fish will do fine treated with salt or medication. But not all will respond favorably. It's really up to you to decide which risk you want to take. Whatever you do you will have to treat the whole tank.

If you go the heat only route, the tank would need to be raised to about 86-88F...otherwise you're just speeding up the life cycle without killing anything.

One thing to keep in mind is that when raising the temp, dissolved O2 decreases so it's oftentimes advised to increase surface agitation as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store