I'M AT WAR!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I was at war with all types of worms when I first started adding plants to my aquariums and it wasn't until these recent months when they started to retreat.
Now it seems the worms had call in their allies, some sort of Insects to aid them in their battle.
I'm armed with all types of de-wormers, but insects seems to be immune.
I end up removing all fishes and plants and nuked the tank wtih bleach overnight and 12 hours later, the insects are still swimming around looking up at me and laughing at my choice of weapons.

(ok, maybe i'm getting a little carried away -- haha)

But for real, I don't know how to get rid of them.

Worms, I no longer have a problem with, but these insects just won't die!

Soaking the substrate in bleach was just a waste of money, but right now I left it out waiting for it to dry out to get rid of the bleach and and I can only hope this will kill the bugs as well.
However, I still have my plants I need to soak to get rid of these insects, but I'm not even sure what they are to begin with.

They are so small, it looks like a pencil dot -- small and black.

Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila

Are these in your tank? What do they look like? Why are you so sure they're bad?

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
The insects might be copepods.... They are actually beneficial and if you had detritus worms (really common) they help break down organic wastes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Yes, they are in the tank and it's not centipedes, its looks like this
Maybe even smaller then that, a nano size dot.

It's bad because the entire tank is filled with it.
It's not just in the substrate, it's covered the glass walls and swimming around in the water and I was able to tell my fishes wasn't feeling it.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Tell how? Are they on the fish? Tiny dots moving around could be any number of things, but killing them off without addressing why they're present and why they're reproducing won't help. If they are not on the fish, then they are a symptom, not the problem.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I know I took a out a clump of peacock moss the other day, and there were *tons* of little bugs swimming around in the bucket when I put the moss back in the tank. It helps explain why the cichlids are so often face deep in the moss.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
The source of these bugs is when I introduced new plants from a close friend, but he didn't even know he had bugs.
My fishes keeps banging its head off the walls, rocks and driftwood. It's like they trying to scratch an itch or something. Plus, i'm sure they are breathing in all these bugs swimming around in the water.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Sorry to read about your troubles :(

On a lighter note, have you tried 99% Pure*Levamisole HCl Po​wder?

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Yes, I had tired Levamisole HCl, Fenbendazole, and even 50/50 water/bleach and nothing seems to be killing it.
The problem is, it's not worms that i'm trying to kill, its little insects who can swim really fast in water.. . it's almost looks like they jump off and back on to the glass from the inside the water.
No idea what kind of insects they are.

I think the best thing for me to do is just let everything dry out and throw away all the plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store