Undergravel Filter + Plants = ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Minnows

AC Members
Aug 22, 2013
Chicago Area
I have a 90 gallon tank and an under gravel filter that is not currently connected to a power head pump can I have plants in this tank?
I am adding Fathead Minnows and hopefully Illinois Native plants

megoto

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Fort Lewis, WA
The roots of the plants will grow down and get all tangled and tied up in the grates. Can be a pain in the butt if you want to move any around. If you're not using the UGF why not just take out so you don't have those problems.

fishhead

Nov 27, 2002
Austin, TX
It won't have an effect on plants growing, but the roots can (potentially) grab the filter. I once had a tank with a RUGF set up, the plants did well. I had a deep enough substrate that the roots very rarely got tangled. I injected CO2 into the flow tube going down to the filter and it did an nice job dissolving it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I ran a UGF/RUGF and the only issue was when I replaced the plates. The Crypts I had were the most tangled up, but I never noticed it causing any flow issues. Like mentioned, might become a PITA if you need to move the tank or redo the setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store