My 10G planted tank build log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Hey guys,

I am going to be starting a 10 gallon planted tank and I am going to use this thread to document everything I do for you all to see and maybe it just might inspire someone to do the same! So Enjoy, all questions, comments, concerns, suggestions and critiques are welcomed! :thm:

So the first thing i did was get some of this API First layer pure laterite to but on the bottom of the tank:

before you put it in your tank, be sure to rinse it thoroughly, as you an see it turns water brown, i dont know about you, but i hate when my aquarium water is anything but crystal clear

The next thing you do is simply put it in the bottom of the tank, i left about a 1" gap around the edges, because im not going to have any plants there, i wanted to make sure there was as much nutrients for my plants as possible. you dont use very much of this stuff, i used 20oz ( the entire package ). The instructions say to use 1oz per us gallon, so i doubled up on that. Hopefully that wont come back to bite me.

Then i capped it with regular aquarium gravel that i liked

here it is all capped, i used probably 14 pounds of gravel for about a 2" thick substrate

Then i stole 5 gallons of good cycled water from my 22 gallon tank

used the plastic fish catcher thing to puur the water into so it didnt disturb the substrate

half full of cycled water

then the rest with fresh treated tap water

here it is all full!

boiled 2 pieces of drift wood for 2.5 hours

and finally have them in a bucket to soak for as long as it takes for the water to not turn brown anymore ( probably around 2-3 weeks )

and here is a video showing the light hood i made

[video=youtube;07cBZVXecZ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07cBZVXecZ4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Here is a pic of it now that its all calmed down.

I also got the Co2 system all set up...

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Nice start. Can't wait to see it scaped.

I'm not sure what type of filtration you're running but have you considered seeding your filter with some established media from your cycled tank? While some of the beneficial bacteria does exist in the water column most establish themselves on surfaces, especially in the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
The filter i have on this tank was running on my sump filter on my 120 gallon tank for a few months, its totally cycled.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
This is off topic but i see a helmet, what do you ride?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Gsxr's are awesome! Id love a bike one day but for now im saving money to buy a chevy s10 lower it and add a turbo or buy a contour svt. I miss my contour :/

back to the topic, are those lights working good for the plants? Or is it still too early to tell?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store