Thinking of setting up a tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cap1384

AC Members
Nov 19, 2007
Hemet
I'm thinking of setting up one of my 20g tanks as a planted tank. It's been about 3 years since I tore down my tank. I have plenty of substrate so that won't be a problem. I will have plenty of light over it. Filter will probably be an old fluval 303 or 404 something like that and pressurized Co2. I will need to acquire some plant though. I was thinking I would like a nice Anubis batarie var. nana, an L. Repens, and I was thinking sunset hygro to start. Tank will have about 9- 10 Wpg. Any suggestions. And I'll need a new diffuser for co2 any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
You can generalize based on readings taken from other hobbyists. If you look there are charts/tables that can give you a decent idea of where you stand. Manufacturers for plant lights are also starting to start testing themselves.

With most tanks' depths you wont often need more than 2x T5HO to achieve high light, especially since none of the plants listed are going to need that strong of light. Is this a 20 long or tall?

goneRogue

AC Members
Aug 2, 2013
So basically we threw out Wpg for how much useable light actually gets to the plants. I'm stuck on how we measure it with out spending over 100 dollars?

The threads on TPT will get you in the ball park. You can dial it in by observing your plants and adjusting the height of the fixture if needed.

cap1384

AC Members
Nov 19, 2007
Hemet
I see that. It's a 20 long by the way but I'm thinking of going with the 20 tall. I never did like lighting I will probably just use something close to what I used on one of these tanks before that worked I think I was using a 5500k t8 and a 6500k t8 before and got really good results out of my Anubis so I will try some thing like that again to start off and go from there it won't be perfect but it's a start.

goneRogue

AC Members
Aug 2, 2013
That should be plenty of light without getting you into trouble. You may have to excel dose/DIY co2. Are you buying a new fixture? Just keep in mind T8 bulbs are being phased out over the next couple years.

cap1384

AC Members
Nov 19, 2007
Hemet
Well the t8's I was going to use fell apart when I was cleaning them. I guess they got brittle, so for now I have my old t5 setup over it. i will post a pic soon, it looks funny having a light for a 55g sitting on top of a 20 long there is about 6in over hang on each side. As for my filter I need new impeller and o rings for the fluval so I figured no problem use the eheim 2215 so it needs new hoses, 0 rings, and clamps are broken so I guess the lesson is dont leave things sitting in a covered tank for long they deteriorate when not being used. So for now I will use an old whisper 20, along with an aquaclear 50. Had to steal the motor from the aquaclear 20. For fun I guess I could have setup a 15 gal sump I have sitting here but I'm sure something would have been broken lol. I think it's time I inventory what I have and get rid of anything that's broken and that I can't find parts for. I think with the over kill light I may have to inject Co2 let's hope the tank isn't broken.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1377646944.593860.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store