DIY sump/filter.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Ok guys, I just got a previously owned 100 gallon tank. It was being used with two HOB top fin filters. I'm scrapping the HOB s and I'm curious if anyone has ever made a sump/filter setup with 5 gallon buckets and pvc. I'm planning on keeping old world cichlids and I'm not sure how much flow I'll need. The plan so far is to use two buckets with broken pieces of terra cotta as biological filtration with one or two buckets with floss to polish the water. The buckets would be connected in series by siphon pipes with the overflow dropping into the first bucket and the pump pumping out of the finish bucket...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I think the 5 gallon buckets will be less than optimal, due to sheer volume. In my opinion, it'd be easier to use another tank to build the sump, say 20-55 gallons with an eye on the dimensions of the sump to make sure the stand is of an appropriate size/shape. That also allows you some leeway, if you don't completely fill the sump, in case power goes out, and water drains from your intake into the sump through gravity. The flow can be controlled either by the changing the pump, or (for greater versatility) changing the return up, either by angling it to reduce flow or adding more holes per inch, or DIYing a longer spray bar and adding more holes to it.

Personally, I'd just slap on an AC 110 (those Top Fin HOBs are pretty loud) and find a canister filter that's also rated for at least 100 gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store