newbie anemone question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jnvette

Registered Member
Apr 8, 2004
sarasota,fl.
Visit site
just bought my first anemone and put it in the tank last night.after i put it in it drifted around the back of a rock out of sight.should i have turned off my filter and power head when i put it in to keep it somewhat in place?can i pull it off the rock without hurting it or getting stung and put it back out front where i can see it?thanks for any help.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
im not an expert on anenomes, but i do know that just because you put it somewhere doesnt mean thats where it will stay. i know most anenomes will move to a place they like, and as long as it has lighting and food requirements, it will usually stay there. unfortunately mine done the same thing that yours did, and when i move it, it eventually finds its way back to where IT likes to be.

gbolton

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
What type of anenome is it? Different species prefer different conditions. If you know what type you can create a place taht is similar to areas they like and it should not move to much.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You should not try to move it as this can damage their feet. They are living, mobile creatures and you can't force it to do what it doesn't want to.

jnvette

Registered Member
Apr 8, 2004
sarasota,fl.
Visit site
thanks for the info.i think im going to try to move the rock with the anemone on it,rather than pull it off the rock.then if moves back to the same spot so be it.

jnvette

Registered Member
Apr 8, 2004
sarasota,fl.
Visit site
i forgot what the lfs said it was.i asked which one would be good with my maroon clown and this is the one he reccommended.its about four inches in diameter and has purpleish brown tantacles.now i think it might have eaten my small yellow tailed damsel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store