"Natures Ocean Substrate"(Is it crushed coral?)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Banky

AC Members
Jan 1, 2004
MA
Visit site
I was in Petco and saw a clearance for "Natures Ocean Premium Marine Substrate". That is literally all it said. It said nowhere any ingredients.

Is this crushed coral that I can use as a buffer? It looks like crushed coral and for $6.00 its a good deal.

If anyone has an idea, let meknow.

Thanks
Justin

Banky

AC Members
Jan 1, 2004
MA
Visit site
Like I said, it doesnt say on the bag..And the bag in the link doesnt loo like the bag I got. I will try to take a pic tonight, but judging by the pics, it could be coral or agonite, they look similar.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
What does it look like? Is the grain very fine or is it course? If its very fine like sand, then you are ok. But if its very course and chunky, with lots of shells and other items then this is the stuff not to use. CC is a problem mainly because of its size of the grains. The larger and more courser the grain, the more detrise is trapped between each grain.

jim

Banky

AC Members
Jan 1, 2004
MA
Visit site
Its coarse, not fine..I planned on using it in my filter to keep my KH where I want it instead of messing with baking soda. Maybe when I post a pic you will have a better idea.

gbolton

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
just be sure that if it is in the filter crud doesnt build up in it this would start a nitrate problem much like any other filter. Are you trying to make a calcium type reactor? Are you having problems with KH?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store