What type of filter is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
Does anybody know what type of filter this is?
7396ba847ea83e15ff17ffd08a716753.png

7396ba847ea83e15ff17ffd08a716753.png

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It's a box or corner filter.

Kind of old school, but easy to seed with biomedia from a canister filter in case of setting up a QT tank.

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
It's a box or corner filter.

Kind of old school, but easy to seed with biomedia from a canister filter in case of setting up a QT tank.
How do you think it would perform in a 10g fry tank?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How do you think it would perform in a 10g fry tank?
Great, provided you've got an air pump, room in your tank and you don't mind the look of it.

I had a large one of those as a secondary filter in my 29g. Had two types of sponge and bio media in it. I eventually swapped it out for a much simpler and smaller cylindrical sponge filter. Those are the way to go IMO. Way cheaper and easier to service too.

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
Great, provided you've got an air pump, room in your tank and you don't mind the look of it.

I had a large one of those as a secondary filter in my 29g. Had two types of sponge and bio media in it. I eventually swapped it out for a much simpler and smaller cylindrical sponge filter. Those are the way to go IMO. Way cheaper and easier to service too.
Yea I have this running on an air pump right now. I would be using a sponge filter but I am currently using some of the parts of it as a DIY egg tumbler.

thacarter546

AC Members
Apr 9, 2012
The media in it is fluval mechanical rings. They arent great for bio, replace the media and there is nothing wrong with them.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The media in it is fluval mechanical rings. They arent great for bio, replace the media and there is nothing wrong with them.
What would you suggest as an alternative?

I personally wouldn't find anything wrong with using any sort of bio-rings in there, I'd certainly expect they would be able to house the bacteria colony that would handle the bio load in a, say, 30g tank.

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
What would you suggest as an alternative?

I personally wouldn't find anything wrong with using any sort of bio-rings in there, I'd certainly expect they would be able to house the bacteria colony that would handle the bio load in a, say, 30g tank.
This

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Remember you can test for ample biological filtration by testing water for Nitrogen compounds.

I personally find it easier to take bio rings from one of the canister filters around the house than I do to remember to put a sponge filter into a tank to seed enough in advance of needing it.

thacarter546

AC Members
Apr 9, 2012
^Those are not bio-rings. There is one bioring on the top right. The rest are non porous ceramic rings meant for mechanical media. They will hold no more bacteria than say a plastic decoration.

Replacing these with say porous ceramic biorings or even a sponge would provide a significant amount of bio capability.

I completely agree with you simply pointing out those are NOT bio rings. They are fluval mechanical rings. They even say on the package these are not a biological filter media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store