Sort of planted...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cotswool

AC Members
Jun 5, 2013
I really have tried to research and find answers to my questions, but with such differing options, sales pitches etc. etc. I am totally confused! Therefore I am back where I should have started at AC! I have a 60 gallon (UK gallon) tank, planted with various anubias, some crypts, and reeds (spirallis?). The plants are alive but not exactly "blooming" algae on the hand is! My lighting is 2 x Grolux 39 watt. Lighting is on for approx. 8 hours a day and the tank has no other natural night. I have recently changed fertilizer and am now dosing Seachem comprehensive twice a week Have only been doing so for about a fortnight). It is quite lightly stocked 4 x bronze corys, 10 harlequin raspboras and 6 zebra danios. It also contains 4 reasonable size pieces of "driftwood". My understanding is that I have low light which is fine I am happy with basic plants, just hoping to get them looking a bit healthier. As I have a problem with some algae on the leaves I am considering dosing Seachem Excel in addition to the comprehensive. I understand this will help with CO2 and also happens to kill algae. Living in Southern Portugal means that I have to have most of the products I use imported and it is getting rather expensive, would anyone suggest any other products to order along with the Excel to keep delivery costs down? Having enjoyed a fab summer without the pleasure of aircon, the tank temperature has regularly risen to the 30 degree mark and I am unsure if this could be affecting plant and algae growth, things should now start to cool down and the tank should stay around the 24/25 degree mark. I do 20%ish water changes weekly without fail. I have another 30 gallon tank with none of these problems. I am getting so frustrated with this one (it has been running for 6 months) that I feel the only option would be to go "plastic planted" which I then feel would take away my "hobby" and be replaced by a chore. Hope you are all still awake!!! Any thoughts or advice would be more than greatly appreciated.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
The additives you are suggesting are all good products. The issue I see is that your tank has only been up and running for 6 mths and you have no fast growing stem plants in there. Fast growing plants can outcompete algae for nutrients - algae will out-compete your slow growers every time. Add some fast growing stems, continue your current water change, lighting and fertilizer regimen (+ adding the Excel) and just be patient!

cotswool

AC Members
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks for the reply, I needed to hear something positive! What fast stem growing plants would you suggest with low light?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've had no issues growing Ludwigia repens, Rotala indica/rotundifolia, wisteria (H. difformis) in low light. Other Hygrophila species, water sprite, pennywort, anacharis, etc. are other "stem" plants that can do well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store