Who is using a pre filter for the AC HOB filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Anyone uses a Pre-filter for their AC Hobs, if yes, what are you using and is it working for you
I am looking at the Filter-Max Pre-Filter, looks neat, better looking then a sponge

Last edited:

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I use a cut AC sponge. I've been thinking about getting some SS mesh to replace it though. My mystery snails tend to commit suicide on the filter intakes though so I'm not sure if this would be a problem with stainless steel mesh.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'm using the small fluval prefilter. It's small, effective, and looks sharp. The big drawback is it clogs quickly... I'm lucky if it lasts a week.

I had this guy a while back, and it was amazing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002565HU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378152332&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

I use the Fluval's as well, have to wring it out every 4 days or so, or the outflow drops greatly, other then that I'm happy with them, black so they blend in well with my background, cut up AC sponges looked like crap.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I use a black Maxi Jet foam pre-filter on my AC 110. Needs rinsing once a week on avg.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Depends on the size of the AC, I use api prefilters on AC 70s, I think I have Fluval sponges (or knock offs) on AC 50s. I usually rinse them every 2-3 weeks if flow slows. There are fine & gross API prefilters, I like the "gross" to catch plant material but not slow the flow...depends on what you have in the way of "bits" to filter out...my fish like to graze on them.

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Ive used both filter foam(like the blue sleeves for HOT canister) and sponges for the Zoo Med Power Sweep power heads. The sponges look better and are really only suited for larger hob's. The foam last a lot longer between cleanings and can be used for any size filter since I would just cut it to size and zip tie it on, but they don't look nearly as good in the tank.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
I use the fluval prefilter on all my small AC's(like the 20) I find it works great. It does clog relatively quickly, but I don't consider that a problem. By that I mean if the prefilter is clogging that means it isn't getting into the filter and it's less work to rinse out the prefilter than the other media. By having the finer type of prefilter I end up doing less maintenance as a whole, just a couple minutes every 4 to

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store