Giant Gourami?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tiffany89

Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
I bought this gourami about a year ago and he was about 6 inches and the guy told me he wasnt going to get much bigger and he only needed a 30 gallon tank. Now he is about 9 to 10 inches.... he looks like he is getting a hump on his head. Does anyone know what this fish is so I know what size tank he needs full grown? Thank you guysnull_zps4fcaa912.jpgnull_zps503a1352.jpg

null_zps4fcaa912.jpg null_zps503a1352.jpg

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If it truly is a "giant" gourami, there are 3 different species that go by that common name, and their adult sizes range from about 20-28 inches. So, you're looking at a *huge* tank. You'll want at *least* 36 inches on each side as a footprint, just so it can turn around comfortably, more if you want it to have some room to swim.

It doesn't look like a kissing gourami to me, which is less convenient for you, because at about 12 inches, that would probably be reasonably comfortable in a 75.

The hump on his head is probably his nuchal hump starting to grow in.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
These guys are gentle giants that need at least a 125gal. I would go with a 225gal or rehome to someone who can handle this fish. People at pet stores can not be trusted to know anything. If you have questions about a fish get the scientific name and go research it prior to purchase. If you don't do your home work you end up with a true Giant Gourami!

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
I know someone who was sold a Dwarf gourami and as time went on, it grew and grew and grew. Now the gourami is in a tank he made. I think the tank is about 300 gallons. There are people in lfs who really don't know what a dwarf gourami is and a giant. Both start off small but only one will exceed the dwarf size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store