Best way to orient outflow from two canister filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
I'm currently filtering my tank with two Filstar XP3s. My next fish will be an African butterfly fish, which (from what I gather) doesn't like a strong current. The other fish are cats, barbs, and an eel. They don't seem to mind current--in fact I think they like playing in it.

Right now, I have an XP3 outflow set up on both rear corners of the tank. The one on the left is facing in toward the center of the tank. The one on the right is oriented exactly the same way, so it's pushing water against the glass. This seems to create a nice circular current in the tank, without much turbulence. But I don't know if it's right for the AFB.

So, what's the right way to point two fairly strong filter outflows when you want to minimize current? How about when you want to maximize it? Can/should I look into extending the outflow pipes down toward the middle of the tank? They are pretty short and close to the water surface.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd aim them away from the surface, towards the open area. That should create a zone along the top that will be calmer.

And, have to check--your tank is completely covered, right?

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
Yep it's covered. It has an old-school black plastic hood with a single fluorescent tube. The front part of the hood has two flip-up parts for feeding, and the rear part of the hood is open for filters and such, but I've covered it with screen-door screening. (It came with clear plastic to trim to fit filter parts, but I'm currently cooling the tank with a fan, and the screening lets me keep doing that.)

When you say away from the surface, toward the open area, do you mean basically point both slightly down and angled in, focused on the very center of the tank?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes, that's what I meant. Doesn't have to be precise, the fish will learn. ABF can take SOME current--if you can put in a bit of wood that will float, or some floating plants, it will lurk around them. If not, it will hide in the darkest bits of the surface.

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
Cool. I've got a 3-foot faux bamboo plant in each rear corner, and the tank is <2 feet high, so there's a foot of floating pseudo-foliage on each side. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store