Chiller questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
I'm currently keeping my 55-gallon tank cool with a fan pointed at the water. On really hot days, it doesn't cut it, though. So I'm looking into a chiller for the summer months.

1. Can you forgo a water pump for an inline chiller if you hook it up to the outflow of a canister filter? That is, can the canister filter itself serve as the water pump?

2. How good are the models that also let you add a heater? I like the idea of moving my heaters out of my tank and basically using the chiller/heater as an all-in one temperature stabilizer.

3. Are the off-brand, eBay-ish models like this worth looking at, kind of like how SunSun filters are OK? Or is that just asking for trouble?

Thanks!

Text

AC Members
Sep 4, 2013
Farmer City Illinois
Real Name
Randall
why ya need it so cool ?but since you ask there is a way to cool a tank by using the parts of a hotel refrigerator and a commercial thermometer .Ive done this for minnow tanks but i own my own hvac refrigeration company and you have to be good at brazing copper and wiring .( and no the bare copper is not exposed to the water you cover it with and insulating paint and a clear coat of laquer that wont leach into the water . i would use 2 submersible pumps to intake the water from one tank to the other hmm maybe i should patent that lol.http://www.petco.com/product/115519/Aqua-Euro-USA-Max-Chill-Aquarium-Chiller.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd%20-_-Aquariums-_-Aqua%20Euro%20USA-_-1457110&gclid=CIeS2rbAsrkCFdBaMgodvhMAsw check this out it would do the trick for you.its an [h=1]Aqua Euro USA Max Chill Aquarium Chiller.no muss no fuss just cool water temps[/h]

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
Some of my fishies (e.g., Odessa Barbs) aren't supposed to be kept above 77-78 degrees, and my tank has gotten up to 82 the past couple of days even with a four-fan thing pointed at the water.

I tried putting those blue squishy freezer-ice packs around my canister tubing, but I don't think it did a whole lot.

Since the problem comes up only three months out of the year, I'm happy to try something simple--but I thought the fan was the best simple idea.

I also considered putting a media-less HOB filter on the tank and sticking one of the ice packs in there. Not sure how terribly dumb that might be, though.

Text

AC Members
Sep 4, 2013
Farmer City Illinois
Real Name
Randall
only 3 months eh do you have an icemaker in your fridge maybe that might be the thing just add ice ?I've done that trick to make my jack Dempsey s breed .

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Your barbs'll be fine at 82 for a few months each year. The fans should be sufficient.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store