Setting up a new discus tank...need help!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Heetseeker

AC Members
Apr 8, 2004
Iowa, USA
Visit site
ok, i'm not exactly a newbie, but i have been out of the hobby for a few years, and i've never had discus before. I've got a few questions. I've got a 46g bowfront i dug out of storage. I'm starting from scratch...mainly since nothing else survived storage as well. Here's my plan: a couple discus, a couple angelfish, a handful of cardinal tetras, a couple corys. I'd like to try my hand at live plants and a sand bottom. Once cycling is complete, will this work out? and i've never had live plants, so any tips and tricks or ideas would be great. I've also never had a sand bottom, and i have questions about cleaning. I did used to be into the hobby pretty hard, so i know most of the basics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I'm fairly new to the hobby, so I can only give you second hand advice. But from what I've found out so far, Discus fish are usually advised to be in a species only tank.

Someone will probably disagree on that, but it is the majority advice.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
I would suggest that you leave the discus out of your set up. I'd think that a pair of angelfish, 8 cardinal tetra, and say 4 corys would make a good tank. When the angels are small it may seem like you are understocked, but I think it would be advisable to think of your water conditions when they are fully grown. If you do want another type of fish in the tank maybe a pair of german or bolivian rams would be a nice addition. For my own part I just can't see keeping a pair of discus in a 46g tank with other fish.

As for you question about plants you should probably glance through the stickies in the plant forum and ask for advice in there. I believe a 46g bowfront is fairly deep however so I will say you should have 100 watts of lighting or so for starters. That should get you well into the low to medium light plants.

I also noted that the fish you are looking into are primarily South American in origin. Are you looking into setting up a biotope type tank?

Heetseeker

AC Members
Apr 8, 2004
Iowa, USA
Visit site
Thanx for everybody's help.

I'm not really looking for a biotope tank, just luck of the draw, i guess. I'd like something different than i've already had, but i would like some color and glitz, you know? i've mainly just had species tanks, and i've done cichlids, so just looking for something else. I'm new to the whole community tank thing, so ideas and help is MUCH appreciated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store